Hermiston win Ronnie Travers Cup with late winner

Hermiston Vale celebrate after edging out Victoria Locos 3-2 at Paties Road
Hermiston Vale celebrate after edging out Victoria Locos 3-2 at Paties Road
Have your say

Hermiston Vale lifted the Ronnie Travers Memorial Cup with a 3-2 win over Victoria Loco at Paties Road.

In what was an enthralling cup final, Vale took the lead with just under 20 minutes on the clock. Ross Elliot provided a cross from the right into Andy Morris, who gladly nodded in at the back post.

It was to be a short lived lead for Vale however as Loco responded in a timely fashion. A quickly taken free-kick found Shaun Dunn on the left of the box and he crossed to Jamie Smart who guided in a header from close range. Paul Suddaby ensured Vale would go in ahead at the break though as he flicked in Elliot’s corner at the near post to make it 2-1.

After the interval Loco upped the pressure and it eventually took its toll as substitute Danny Waddell’s ball in from the left was turned in by Morris, this time into his own goal.

With two minutes of the 90 to go Vale found a dramatic winner. A free-kick into the area was flicked on by Bobby Nwanze to the path of Grant Smith, who rifled in at the back post to claim the trophy for his side.

• Crease makes rivals fold with hat-trick

A Tam Crease hat-trick kept the Premier 1 title hopes of Sandys alive as they grabbed a crucial 3-0 win over second-placed Musselburgh Amateurs at Castleview Centre.

After an early spell of dominance the hosts took the lead 35 minutes into the affair. An attempted clearance by the Mussie defence was headed back towards goal by Michael Osbourne and Crease struck a volley from the edge of the box first time into the back of the net.

Sandys continued to press after the interval and they were soon rewarded for their patience. Liam Mcardle delivered the ball in from the left and Crease made no mistake at the back post to turn the ball in.

Despite Musselburgh’s persistence they were unable to test Graeme Lennie in the Sandys goal. Then, in what was a carbon copy of the previous score, the game was sealed with five minutes to go when Mcardle again crossed for Crease to nod in his hat-trick and Sandys’ third.

The win means that Sandys, in third place, are now 11 points behind league leaders Newcraighall but they do have three games in hand.

• Salters win Division 1 League Cup

Salters Athletic were crowned Division 1 League Cup Final winners after a 3-1 victory over Waverley Hotel at Paties Road.

Waverley took the lead on 20 minutes. Ross Hamilton took charge of a free-kick just outside the area, and he sent the ball over the wall and into the back of the net. As the first half drew to a close, Salters pulled level when Drew Calladine fired a free-kick from 25 yards that flew into the top right corner.

Salters continued to press after the restart and they grabbed two more to make the trophy theirs. Paul Milligan created the first with a run down the flank before crossing to Chris Robertson who converted from close in. Then, Calladine played an inch perfect through pass to Robertson to grab another as he held his nerve one-on-one to secure the victory for Salters.