Holders Tynecastle crash out of Scottish Youth Cup

Tynecastle midfielder Cameron Liddell. Pic: Chris McCluskie
Tynecastle midfielder Cameron Liddell. Pic: Chris McCluskie
Have your say

Holders Tynecastle Under-15s crashed out of the Trans World Soccer Scottish Youth Cup after a shock 5-1 win for visiting side Fraserburgh Link Up.

Tynie, who were favourites to retain the trophy after last season’s success, were caught on an off-day by their Aberdeenshire opponents, who roared back incredibly from the concession of an early goal.

Tynecastle were in the ascendancy in the opening exchanges and took just three minutes to open the scoring. Midfielder Jay Kilboy let fly from outside the box and his strike snuck in at the near post, with Fraserburgh goalkeeper Sean Smith nowhere near it.

The visitors pegged Tynie back just six minutes later, however, as Bailey Simpson slipped the ball under Fraser Briton after the ball had broken into his path from a Tynecastle challenge.

Fraserburgh were lifted by the leveller and it wasn’t long before they went ahead as Kane McCrory found himself free inside the box to head past Briton. Cameron Dawson was the hero for his team in last May’s final over Albion when he scored late on to secure the silverware, but he couldn’t find the required finish to put Tynie level on 18 minutes, as he completely missed the target from six yards out.

Tynecastle continued to look for an equaliser, but Fraserburgh were defending admirably as they soaked up the pressure. The hosts began to look frustrated as nothing seemed to go their way and five minutes before half-time, Fraserburgh made things worse.

Left winger Sean Douglas had been a threat with his ferocious pace in the first half and he used it to good effect, before unleashing an unstoppable strike which careered over the head of Briton and into his net.

The onus was on the home side to take the game to Fraserburgh in the second half, with a big performance needed from Tynie to claw back the lead.

But it was all Fraserburgh after the interval, as Tynie’s rousing half-time team talk fell on deaf ears. The visitors had plenty chances before they eventually scored a crucial fourth with 14 minutes to go. Simpson had terrorised Tynie’s defence all afternoon and strode clear of defender Bruce McCrorie on the turn as he raced towards the box. McCrorie got back in time to fell the attacker on the edge of the box before he could get a strike away and, from Liam Cameron’s free-kick, Drew Masson headed past Briton.

McCrory got the fifth to seal a momentous win for the visitors with five minutes to go as his sweeping free-kick somehow evaded a packed penalty area to nestle in the bottom corner.

Meanwhile, Edina Hibs Under-13s set up an all-Edinburgh Scottish Cup semi-final with league rivals Hutchison Vale after an eight-goal hammering of St Mirren Youth Football Club.

There was no doubts over who was the star of the show for Edina, with Nicholas Aitchison wading in with three assists and a goal with his expert corner-kick taking, as Edina ended up 8-1 victors.

Striker Liam Edmonston put the visitors ahead early on, before Jordan Keenan completed a quick-fire double after intricate build-up play from Aitchison and Dean Burgess.

Aitchison had given a glimpse of his set piece talents before he provided his first assist for Alassan Jones to nod in for the third.

Lewis Sives then became the second beneficiary as he got on the end of Aitchison’s corner to put a rampant Edina 4-0 up inside the first half-hour. The home side pulled a goal back, before Edina restored their four-goal advantage as Edmonston finished from close range.

Aitchison got a goal for himself into the second half after his corner-kick, carried by the wind, sailed into the net past St Mirren’s keeper.

Mitchell Robertson notched the seventh, before Owen Bryce wrapped up a rampant Edina performance with the eighth goal.

Elsewhere, Leith Athletic Under-17s kept their title challenge alive with a closely fought win 2-1 win away to AC Oxgangs on Saturday.

Oxgangs took a first-half lead into the interval after Harvey Blackie had opened the scoring with an exquisite lob from the edge of the box which sailed over the head of Leith’s keeper.

Leith took the game by the scruff of the neck in the second half and won thanks to two clinical finishes from striker Jordan Killen.

Killen got his first after knocking in the rebound from Kieran Grant’s initial shot, before he struck again at the second time of asking after Oxgangs’ keeper had done his upmost to keep out his first effort.

Credit must go to young referee Daniel Grieves who was in total control of the league clash from start to finish.