Hutchie 16s clinch Cup with second-half blitz

Hutchison Vale 16s celebrate their win
Hutchison Vale 16s celebrate their win
Have your say

HUTCHISON VALE 16s lifted the Jackie Faichney Memorial Cup after a convincing 4-1 win over Loanhead MYFC 16s at New Dundas Park.

Hutchie were met by spirited resistance from their opponents in the opening stages of the encounter but they eventually broke the deadlock through Jake McCreadie.

Loanhead responded with a brilliant equaliser through Aidan McMillan straight after the interval but Hutchie persevered, bagging three more goals from Callum Fitzpatrick, Cameron Paton and Rayaan Singh to secure the win.

Vale began brightly, giving Ross Jardine in the Loanhead goal plenty to ponder early on. Jamie Watson’s corner from the left was headed goalward by Cameron Stewart but Jardine was alert to the danger to palm the ball away at the back post.

After a spell of dominance from Hutchie, Loanhead got a foothold in the match and started to pass the ball better. They eventually managed to get an effort in on goal as the game reached the 20th-minute mark. Callum Crawford created space down the right-hand side before teeing up Joshua Fital, who crossed to Lewis Marshall whose volley flew narrowly over the bar.

The scare made Hutchie focus and they began to dictate play once again. Some quick interchanging passes around the area led to Fareid Yassein playing Watson in behind, but his effort well saved by Jardine once again.

The Loanhead goalkeeper certainly had his work cut out in the opening 25 minutes but there was little he could do to prevent Hutchie from going ahead soon after.

Watson whipped in a free-kick from the right that evaded everyone and landed at the feet of McCreadie, who had the easy task of prodding in from four yards.

Buoyed by their lead, Vale continued to press for another before half-time and could so easily have doubled their advantage with two quick-fire opportunities.

After Ross Waters’ effort from just outside the area was blocked at the last minute by the opposition defence, Yassein also had a chance on the edge of the box when the ball broke to the midfielder and he hit a half-volley a metre wide of the target.

Despite the momentum being with Hutchie, it was Loanhead who grabbed the next goal.

A minute into the second period, McMillan picked the ball up and blasted in an effort off the underside of the bar from just outside the box.

As the final edged towards the closing stages, Hutchie took things up a gear with some impressive passing and movement which would prove the key to unlocking the Loanhead defence. After some patient build-up in midfield, Paton sent a well-weighted lob pass from the edge of the area through to Fitzpatrick to rifle in first time from seven yards.

Five minutes later, Fitzpatrick turned creator to give his side greater breathing space in the final.

The No.8 sent Paton through on goal and he kept calm to find the net.

Despite their best efforts, Loanhead were unable to carve out a clear-cut opportunity in the remaining ten minutes of the final and Hutchie grabbed a fourth to rub salt in the wounds.

Substitute Singh looked lively after coming on and he got his name on the scoresheet with minutes to go.

Hutchison Vale 16s: Patrick Martin, Owen Richardson, Murray Young, Euan McGuire, Cameron Stewart, Harry Pullar, Blair Conway, Kyle Hunter, Rayaan Singh, Callum Mackie, Callum Fitzpatrick, Jamie Mackay, Jamie Watson, Cameron Paton, Ross Waters, Fareid Yassein, Lewis Wright, Jake McCreadie.

Loanhead MYFC 16s: Ross Jardine, Joshua Fital, Lee Barrett, Liam McCabe, Michael Lennie, Aidan McMillan, Ryan Dunbar, Lewis Weir, Rory Rutherford, Greg Park, Callum Crawford, Luke Kennedy, Lewis Marshall.