Hutchison Vale 17s are dressed up to the nines

Hutchison Vale 17s were ruthless as they despatched of Merchiston 17s 9-0 at Meggetland
Hutchison Vale 17s were ruthless as they despatched of Merchiston 17s 9-0 at Meggetland
Have your say

Hutchie Vale 17s continued their goalscoring exploits in Division 1 as they put nine past North Merchiston 17s at Meggetland.

After some stern initial resistance from Merchie, Hutchie grabbed two goals just before the half-hour mark thanks to a Callum Mackie header and a Harry Pullar penalty.

Hutchie found two more before the break to put themselves in a commanding position. Liam Willis hit the net with a header in the box before he grabbed another with a composed finish in front of goal.

After the break, Merchie had keeper Ciaran Pugh to thank as he kept Hutchie at bay on half a dozen occasions, but it wasn’t long before the goals inevitably continued to flow.

Callum Fitzpatrick’s volley from outside the box rocketed in on 60 minutes and then sub Jamie Watson picked up a ten-minute hat-trick.

Hutchie completed the scoring late on through Ross Watters to record an emphatic 9-0 triump.

• St Bernards BC Mid Blues 13s recorded a convincing 7-0 win over Redpath Albion 13s at Dalkeith Campus in Division 4.

Saints soon got into their stride with two strikes in the opening ten minutes by Logan Whitson and Zak Manson.

Despite the comfortable lead Saints continued to push upfield before half time and they found the net again through Whitson as he cut in from the left before firing across goal into the right hand corner.

Albion, to their credit, were giving it their best to quell the Saints attacking threat, but there was no stopping more goals after the break. Ciaran Greig got in on the act to score as he cut in from the right before firing into the bottom left corner. Then, sub Steven Todd hit a fifth for Saints as he provided a measured finish when played in behind the Albion defence.

As the game drew to a close Greig added his second before Jason Brown rounded off the scoring with a well-taken effort from close range.

• Loanhead MYFC 19s dug deep to progress to the semi-finals of the South East Region Cup as they held off Tynecastle 19s at Lasswade High School.

Within the first two minutes it was Tynie who took the lead with their first real chance of the game. Ben Gardiner was alert to a loose pass at the heart of the Loanhead defence and he ran through on goal before placing the ball into the back of the net.

The goal spurred Loanhead on but Tynie were holding firm at the back, and could well have doubled their advantage. On the half hour mark though Loanhead eventually unlocked the Tynie defence when Stephen Scott’s freekick into the box rebounded to Ryan Porteous and he made no mistake to fire in.

After the interval Loanhead upped their game and put Tynie to the sword with two goals in ten minutes. The first was all down to left-back Liam Taylor, who made a blistering run before sending Liam Higgins away in behind to roll the ball in one on one. Then, shortly after, Porteous robbed the ball in midfield before playing in Darren McCraw to send a composed finish home for 3-1.

Late on Jack Cowan looked to spur a late comeback for Tynie when he found a second but Loanhead held off the late rally from their opponents to advance into the next round.