Inverleith ensure their Miller Cup tie is Dun and dusted early

Have your say

Inverleith AFC cruised into the third round of the 
Miller Cup with a 3-0 
victory over Dunbar Athletic at Saughton.

This all-Edinburgh East clash proved to be a one-sided 
affair, with Inverleith dominant throughout the match as 
Dunbar struggled to offer much in the way of any threat in the final third.

Inverleith opened the 
scoring as early as the third minute when a long ball into the Dunbar box was met by striker Gary Low, who nipped in ahead of goalkeeper Chris Crawford to head the ball into an empty net.

The home side doubled their advantage 15 minutes before the break when Low was upended deep in Dunbar territory and Paul Ferguson’s excellent delivery from the resulting 
free kick was headed home by Alan Morrison.

Both Low and Mark Griffiths had chances to extend Inverleith’s lead in the second 45, but it was Morrison who doubled his tally when he made it three with a neat finish.

Inverleith player/coach Terry Lind was satisfied with his players’ attitude throughout the match.

Lind said: “We played well enough to go through, but it wasn’t our best performance. We took our chances when they came, so we’re looking forward to the next round.”

Inverleith will now play either Pathhead or Satlers Athletic.

Melville win at long last

Melville Rovers recorded their first victory of the season with a 3-1 triumph in their 
Miller Cup second-round clash with Standard Life at Roseburn.

Rovers have lost all ten of their Edinburgh West league games this season, but Mike Gradone is hoping success over opponents Standard Life can lead them onto a better run in the league.

Gradone said: “We played well and I don’t think we were troubled too much at the back. I thought our midfield controlled the game, so hopefully this will give us a bit of a confidence boost.”

Rovers edged in front when Gareth Ewing nipped in to score from a corner and they held their lead until the last 
seconds of the 90 minutes when Jason Cunningham rose to head in the equaliser from David Miller’s cross from the left.

Standard Life’s Ross Wylie then saw red after his second booking in extra time and the home side’s misery was compounded when Dale Reid broke away to score with a composed finished to put Rovers 2-1 ahead. The visitors then sealed victory when Richard Logue was quickest to react and knocked in from close range to complete the scoring.

Standard Life’s Paul Hares said: “We didn’t play well and you could tell it was our first competitive match for four weeks. It didn’t help having Ross sent off in extra time.”

Tynecastle to face Penicuik

Tynecastle FC scraped through into the fourth round of the Centenary Cup with a 3-2 victory over Edinburgh 
Southern in an entertaining contest at the Gyle.

The Lothian East side will now face Premier Division 2 outfit Penicuik United at home, with a place in the last eight 
of the competition at stake.

Tynecastle were awarded a penalty when Southern’s Andy Sommerville handled the ball on his own goal line and was subsequently shown a red card for his actions. Jason Watson converted the resulting spot-kick to put Tynecastle ahead after ten minutes.

David Dickson made it two prior to the interval with a close-range finish leaving Southern with it all to do in the second 45.

Colin Lister reduced the 
deficit with a clever finish for ten-men Southern, but Tynecastle were then awarded a second spot-kick for a foul in the box. Watson remained composed to score his second penalty to put Tynecastle 3-1 in front.

Thomas Martin did set up a tense finale with Southern adding a second goal late on but the visitors’ defence held firm.

Tynecastle’s John Clarke said: “We played well so we’re pleased to be in the next round. Penicuik are a decent Premier Division 2 side so it will be a tough match for us.”