Junior round up: Musselburgh | Bonnyrigg Rose

Have your say

WINS for Musselburgh Athletic, Broxburn Athletic and Newburgh in the junior round-up.

EOS cup 2ND round

Pumpherston 0

Musselburgh Athletic 2

The home side had the benefit of the windy conditions in the first half but failed to take advantage and, 15 minutes into the second half, Musselburgh took the lead when a through ball found Ryan McCallum and he took a touch before shooting low past the keeper. With eight minutes remaining the visitors got their second when Jackie Myles beat two defenders and cut the ball back from the by-line and Andy Sinclair scored from two yards out.

Pumpherston: Red, Farquhar, Whyte, Bremner, Robinson, Gerrard, McCann, McNee, (Jack 43), McAuley, White, (Murray 85), Swann. Subs: Walker, Campbell, Murray.

Musselburgh Athletic: Adams, McKenna, Lauder, Miller, Hamilton, Wilson, Myles, Murray, Sinclair, McCallum, (Thompson 75), King. Subs: Shand, Moyes, Cornet.

Fife & Lothians Cup 2nd round

Bo’ness United 0

Broxburn Athletic 2

Man of the match Steve Pittman missed a good chance to put his side ahead in the first half but he went on to score two second half goals. The first was in 66 minutes, a low shot converting a Steven Weir cross. Two minutes before the end Weir was again the provider, his pass allowing Pittman to round Bo’ness keeper Peat before shooting home.

Bo’ness United: Peat, Snowdon, McAvoy, Donnelly, Kennedy, Nimmo, Walker, Scanlan (Hay 71), Hislop, Lurinsky, Lawson. Subs: J Donaldson, C Donaldson, Allan.

Broxburn Athletic: Clark, Locke, Gibson, Redcroft, J Miller, Young, Keast (Morrison 72), Pittman, Johnstone (McGurk 78), Weir, Fairbairn. Subs: Maley.

Kirkcaldy YM 1

Bonnyrigg Rose 4

Super LEAGUE quality eventually prevailed against a spirited YM side who finished with only nine players after Sean O’Neil and Greg Meikle saw red. Dean Elder opened for YM in eight minutes and it took until the 24th minute for Stuart Roseburgh to equalise for the Rose. Sean Grady fired home a second before half-time and, although Kevin McLeish missed a second-half penalty, goals from Alex King and Paul Currie from a second penalty saw Bonnyrigg through.

Kirkcaldy YM: Hay, Quinn, Pelosi, Ness, O Neil, McNeill, D Elder, Greig, Gilfillan, Forbes, Westwater. Subs: Orrock, L Elder, Meikle, Wilson, Harley.

Bonnyrigg Rose: Patarek, Burrell, Gray, Gemmell, Woodburn, Grady, King, McLeish, Archibald, Currie, Roseburgh. Subs: Palizcka, Hamilton, Renton, Dunn, Burgess.

Newburgh 5

Penicuik Athletic 3

Newburgh took the lead in the 15th minute when Tulleth rifled home a free kick. Penicuik equalised through Patterson ten minutes later. Penicuik hit two goals in three minutes in the 70th minute through Montgomery and then Kerr headed home a McDermott corner kick. But with ten minutes to go, the home side pulled one back when Lennie slotted home from a corner kick. Three minutes later a Cunnison error allowed Tulleth to nip in and score. McLeish put the home side ahead in the 86th minute and he put the icing on the cake with his second in the 89th minute.

Newburgh: Houston, Ferguson, Reddington, Gurnyn, Gray, McLeish, Lennie, Finlay, Tulleth, Hynd. Subs: Kirby, Hood, MacKain, McAdam, Gow.

Penicuik: McLeod, Cunnison, Thomson, Bunyan, Kerr, Gay, L Barr, K Barr, Patterson, Roxburgh, Montgomery. Subs: Cameron, Riley, McDermott, Ryrie, Meikle.

Premier League

Armadale Thistle 4

Dalkeith Thistle 1

Armadale kept their promotion hopes alive with a deserved win. After spurning a host of chances in the first half, the home side finally broke the deadlock through Lewis Milton on 46 minutes. Robbie Feeney doubled the lead on 55 minutes and he excelled himself further when he curled in a superb free kick on 65 minutes. Substitute Scott Brown tapped in Armadale’s fourth with Kevin Haynes heading in a late consolation for Dalkeith.

Armadale Thistle: Walker, G Brown, Rarity, McKay, Morrison, Mauchline, McLeod (Wardlaw), Bonnar, Feeney, Dalrymple (S Brown) Milton (Barker). Subs: Jack, Swineburne.

Dalkeith Thistle: Combe, Gavin, Waters, Hunter (Haynes), Liddle, Linton (Lally), Morris, Murray (McLennan), Fisher, Pudledski, McNaughton. Subs: Flynn, Fell.

Ballingry Rovers 3

Bathgate Thistle 1

Ballingry took the lead in the 14th minute through Bobby Linn but George Hunter levelled for Bathgate within three minutes. Bathgate suffered a double blow on 30 minutes when striker George Hunter went off injured and Murray McDowell restored the Ballingry advantage. There was more misery for Bathgate when Gary Bownes was red carded for two bookings after 40 minutes play. With half-time looming McDowell put the home side further ahead with a stunning shot on the run. Ten-men Bathgate put in a superb effort in the second half, creating several chances to claw their way back into the game, but were unable to break down a resolute Ballingry defence where Jonathon Smart was outstanding.

Ballingry Rovers: Allison, Hegarty, Cameron, Smart, Rattray, Morrison, Byres, Mowatt, McDowell (Moffat 85), Martin (Blackadder 53), Linn. Subs: Kiczynski, Alexander, Smith.

Bathgate Thistle: Murphy, McCulloch, Byrne, Hogg, Lieper, Hannah (Clark 75), Scott (Fallon 60), Andreoni, Hunter (MacSween), Brazil, Bownes. Subs: Livingston.


Dunbar United 1

Arniston Rangers 1

Both sides are looking for promotion so a draw wasn’t what either team wanted. Dunbar dominated the opening 45 minutes creating several chances but converting nothing. Arniston had decided to face the strong wind in the first half hoping to take advantage in the second. The visitors took the lead when Stefan Kataleza disposed Keith Tait and set up Gordon Robertson to open the scoring. Half way through the second half and Sam Young collected a throw-in before turning his marker and slotting home a left-foot drive for the equaliser.

Dunbar United: Wood, Cowan, K Tait, Morgan, Gibb, C Hill, Girdwood, S Tait, Young, S Hill, Grant. Subs: Glynn, Watson, Lees, Jones, Twaddle.

Arniston: Rachowski, Moriarty, Newell, Brady, Faulds, Burgess, Anderson, Wijelati, Robertson, Kataleza, Garden. Subs: Somerville, McCaul, Fenwick, Beattie, Marshall.

Fauldhouse United 0

Haddington Athletic 1

Haddington’s recovery continued with this win against the league leaders and keeps them up to speed for promotion. The visitors kicked off against the wind and created a couple of chances but Fauldhouse showed why they are sitting top of the pile by creating plenty of chances themselves. The only goal of the game was an own goal scored midway through the second half when Andy Cruikshank hit the back of his own net with a sliced clearance.

Fauldhouse United: Stewart, Cruikshank, S Martin, Ross, Gallagher, Campbell, Deans, Baird, K Martin, Chilton, Wilkins. Subs: Fairweather, Robertson, Shanks, Peach.

Haddington Athletic: Hill, Lynch, Motion, Gallagher, D Wilson, Thomson, Bracks, J Wilson, Cropley, McDonald, Connaghan. Subs: Bernawi, Slight, Trialist.

Harthill Royal 1

Whitburn 3

Darren WILSON headed in Kieran Anderson’s pinpoint corner to give Whitburn an early lead. Just after Scott hit the bar with a thunderbolt from 20 yards. A great curling shot from Bryan King found the top corner just before the break to double the lead. 20 minutes into the second half Alan Mooney made it three with a header from another Anderson corner. Craig Thomson later got a consolation with a low shot which found the bottom corner.

Harthill Royal: Porche, McCann (Lawrie 75), Brady, Lyons, Mackay, Thomson, McKee, Drummond (S Heron 75), Pollock, Adam, Watson. Subs: McLean, McLeod, T Heron.

Whitburn: Ritchie, Bodel, Mooney, Wilson, McDonald, Scott, Taylor (Norman 53), Browne (Spence 75), Craig (Swan 68), King, Anderson, Sub: Sharp.