Kerr heads Tynecastle past Oxgangs

Tynecastle Under-17s
Tynecastle Under-17s
Have your say

Tynecastle lifted the under-17 South-East Region Cup as they narrowly beat AC Oxgangs 1-0 on Saturday at Dunbar.

In a game of few decent opportunities, Greg Kerr’s header from a Mark Sheills cross proved the only moment of quality between the sides on a hot lunchtime at New Countess Park.

Coming into the game, Tynecastle had suffered the worst kind of footballing heartbreak as they lost on penalties in the Scottish Cup Final at Airdrie – despite scoring three goals over 120 minutes.

Despite a sluggish performance, they managed to overcome that defeat to lift the silverware against a determined Oxgangs outfit.

The first meaningful bit of action came for Oxgangs after 12 minutes. A ball was delivered from the right and met with force in the air by Jamie Hamilton’s head – but the No.9 saw his effort scrambled away at the line by a Tynie defender.

With around 30 minutes played, Tynie had their own chance cleared away just inches from the goal. Greg Kerr was played in to the left side of the penalty area and got his shot away, Oxgangs No.1 Robbie Brown getting a touch to it before it rolled towards the empty goal.

However, fortunately for Oxgangs, their full-back Campbell Stephen was aware and sprinted to clear the ball from the line and keep the scores level at 0-0.

As the first half neared its end, Tynie came into the game more and started to look confident on the ball and going forward with it. Indeed, they scored the game’s only goal on the stroke of half-time. Midfielder Sheills received the ball from distance with everyone in and around the box, and he crossed in a great ball to find Greg Kerr’s head. He beat the ‘keeper to it in the air and headed the ball over him into the empty net for 1-0.

The first 20 minutes of the second half was very similar to the period of the first half – there was little action as both teams failed to get a handle on the game.

Oxgangs’ Lewis Temple was a threat for his side, the powerful forward player always determined to make something happen with his wide range of passing and forward-thinking. But he could not drag his side back into it.

With 66 minutes played, Tynie almost doubled their advantage. The ball spilled to the left side of the danger area and fell at the feet of David Henderson – the wide player hitting a low shot first time towards the near post, but Brown got down well to save to his right-hand side.

Oxgangs continued to plough the ball forward and were determined to get back into the tie by any means necessary. They attempted many shots at the Tynie goal in the hope that one would go in but had no luck.

The Tynie rearguard mopped up everything that was thrown at them the entire game, remaining resolute in dangerous moments and frustrating Oxgangs in the process.

The closing stages of the game saw Oxgangs dominate possession but fail to achieve anything with it – the last opportunity falling to Robbie Simpson, whose fierce attempt at goal was well saved by Jamie Shiel.

Tynie held out to the full-time whistle as they lifted the silverware in the sun in front of many delighted supporters.

Tynecastle: Jamie Shiel, David Wright, Callum Cowan, Matthew Quinn, Liam Howell, Joe Walker, Jamie Purves, Jason Kerr, Greg Kerr, Ciaron Small, Matthew Graham, Mark Shiells, Euan Graham, Cameron Jeffrey, Ryan Mayer, Liam Thomson, David Henderson, Lawrence Naismith.

AC Oxgangs: Robbie Brown, Tom Embleton, Campbell Stephen, Sam Philp, Sam Leslie, Anthony Harrison, Shaun Marshall, Paul Macari, Jamie Hamilton, Harvey Blackie, Lewis Temple, Robbie Simpson, Elliot Sked, Murray McDermott, James Bishop, Callum Berwick.