Kirk refuses to paint over the cracks at Hibernian Ladies

Have your say

Hibernian Ladies failed to take advantage of Glasgow City’s inactivity at the weekend to close the gap at the top of the Scottish Women’s Premier League table, but boss Willie Kirk refused to blame a controversial turning point in the match for his team’s failure.

The Easter Road girls had the opportunity to cut the gap on the champions to just three points had they won, however it was a chance missed as they were defeated 4-1 by Forfar Farmington at Station Park.

Hibs were already trailing Forfar 2-1 when goalkeeper Shannon Lynn was sent off 
after upending ex-Hibee Emma McCulley inside the penalty box despite a strong offside appeal.

A straight red card for the shot-stopper ended the visitors’ hopes of getting any sort of result but Kirk, pictured, doesn’t believe it changed the outcome of the game.

He said: “The decision to send off Shannon was an absolute shocker because the attacker was a million miles 

“It was a terrible decision that ended the match as a contest, however we were very poor all game and I was bitterly 
disappointed with the lack of enthusiasm from my players.

“Nevertheless, it was a great match experience to play at 
Station Park and we now have to pick ourselves up quickly before facing Celtic Reserves next weekend in the Scottish Cup.”

Caroline Heron, Caron Webster, Lucy Graham (penalty) and 
Kelly Clark were on target for the home side with Kirsty McLaughlin netting Hibs’ 

Meanwhile, Hutchison Vale also slipped to a disappointing defeat when they were beaten by Hamilton Academical 5-2 at John Cumming Stadium.

“After starting well and taking the lead, we let them back into the match and dropped too deep.” commented manager Ian McDonald.

Elsewhere, Spartans continued their impressive post-split form with a convincing 3-0 victory over Aberdeen at Ainslie Park.

Scotland internationalist Di Barry gave the home side a half-time lead with a sensational free kick from the edge of the penalty area before top goal scorer Sarah Ewens scored twice after the break to secure the three points.