Konrad Cooper’s treble fires up Currie Star

Currie Star 14s turned the heat on Musselburgh Athletic Whites with a dominant performance
Currie Star 14s turned the heat on Musselburgh Athletic Whites with a dominant performance
Have your say

A Konrad Cooper hat-trick helped Currie Star 14s to their second league win of the season as they beat Musselburgh Athletic Whites 14s 5-0 at Meggetland.

After an even start to the Division 2 clash, Currie took the lead when Cooper sent Jamie Blyth through on goal to score.

Five minutes later it was two when creator Cooper turned scorer, picking his spot from close range.

As the half drew to a close, Mussy tried their best to carve out a goal in the game, but Currie were holding firm and found the net again. Cooper was in the thick of the action once more as he intercepted the ball before rounding keeper Daniel Simpson and making it 3-0.

After the interval Cooper then grabbed a deserved hat-trick to further extend his sides’ lead, with Mussy unable to cope with the striker’s presence.

Sub Kristian Varley put the icing on the cake for Currie as he finished James Mackie’s cross at the back-post to round off a fine team performance.

• Musselburgh Windsor 16s continued their rich vein of form in Division 2 as they cruised to a comfortable 3-0 win over Spartans FC Reds 16s at Pinkie Playing Fields.

Windsor started strongly and were unlucky not to be ahead early on, but after 25 minutes they finally got the goal their play warranted. Duncan Parry received the ball from the right-hand side before he spun and smashed an effort in from the edge of the 18-yard box.

Building on their lead, Windsor continued to play with confidence and it wasn’t long before they found the net again. Mark Costello sent a looping cross from the left flank into the area and Jay Murray got up well to send a glancing header into the back of the net.

When the second half got under way, Windsor continued to dictate proceedings and it was only a matter of time before they grabbed a third with the Spartans threat neutralised. Right-back Jak Buchanan picked up the ball from 30 yards before he burst towards goal, sending a shot on his right foot in from range to complete a clinical performance.

• Hutchie Vale 15s confidently progressed to the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup with a 4-0 win over Clydebank FC 15s at Scotstoun Sports Campus.

Hutchie started brightly in the cup tie and took a deserved lead with almost 20 minutes gone. Leno Degaetano showed quick feet just outside the Clydebank penalty box before he rattled a shot in off the bar.

Clydebank pressed for an equaliser before the midway point in the game, but Hutchie held firm at the back and they found another ten minutes into the second half. Striker Owen Bryce was the first to react in a goalmouth stramash as he steered the ball in to put his side a step closer to the next round.

Hutchie were a constant threat in the game and that threat once again prevailed when Degaetano was tripped in the area to give his side a chance to score from the spot. Captain Luke Cunningham took responsibility and he slammed the ball home for a third of the afternoon.

With the result looking all but a formality, Hutchie then added an emphatic fourth late on when sub Freddie Peat attacked a corner from five yards to once again find the net.