League champions Leith lift Kenny McLean Cup

Hutchison Vale 14s
Hutchison Vale 14s
Have your say

League champions Hutchison Vale 14s lifted the Kenny McLean Cup after an impressive 3-1 victory over Leith Athletic 14s.

Hutchie took an early lead following a goalmouth scramble, Steven Mackay being in the right place to put the ball in the net after Calum Hall dinked it into the area.

There was an almost instantaneous response by Leith, though, and they were on level terms minutes later thanks to Craig Ferrier. The number nine turned his man inside the box and hit a sweet left-footed strike which left goalkeeper Bryan Cairns with no time to react.

Hutchie’s Euan Henderson ran with purpose into the area before leaving the ball for Grant Rose to strike. His effort could only find the gloves of Leith goalie Adam Mclean, however.

The league winners could smell blood and had another good chance to go 2-1 up a few minutes later.

Rose robbed the ball from one of the Leith centre-halves, then shot from the edge of the box, but he was wide of the mark.

Leith had been on the back foot since equalising but came back into the final towards the end of the half and could have gone ahead when Bradley

Barrett was quick to intercept a weak backpass by the defence, but his shot was well matched by a good reaction save by Cairns.

Hutchison Vale came out strongest in the second half and Rose finally made his mark two minutes after the interval.

It was a goal worthy of 
winning any cup final. He collected the ball around the halfway line and dribbled past an opponent before trying his luck 35 yards from goal. The ball sailed over Mclean’s head and into the net.

Leith responded well and almost levelled again after the restart. A free kick whipped in by Nathan Brown found Barrett at the back post but he put his free header wide.

Hutchie had a good chance to put the game to bed ten minutes from time when Declan Glass cut inside the box and looked odds on to score, but was denied by a great block by Mitchell Hutchison.

There was little Leith could do to prevent Hutchie’s third goal. After pushing men upfield in attack, they were exposed at the back and Hutchison Vale hit on the counter-attack.

Henderson and Glass surged forward with blistering pace to take advantage of Leith’s lack of bodies at the back. Glass received a square ball in the box to score and wrap up the 3-1 victory.

The final had been a close and entertaining game for all those in attendance, with both teams showing real desire to win.

On the day, Hutchie just had that little bit more going forward to edge out Leith side.

Hutchison Vale: Bryan Cairns, Calum Hall, Steven Mackay, Mark Brook, Daniel Nichol, Michael Barfoot, Gregor Lamb, Euan Henderson, Grant Rose, Declan Glass, Dale Skinner, Sean Paterson, Sam Colley.

Leith Athletic: Adam Mclean, Mitchell Hutchison, Nathan Brown, Kyle Mcfarlane, Ewan Farmer, Callum Bremner, Reenan Ward, Liall Smith, Craig Ferrier, Lewis Mackinnon, Bradley Barrett, Duncan Tarry, Shaun Farrow, Findlay Paxton, Cameron Burns.