Leith Athletic 19s win Bob Bankier Cup in sudden death shoot-out

Leith Athletic celebrate after a nailbiting end to the final
Leith Athletic celebrate after a nailbiting end to the final
Have your say

Leith Athletic 19s held their nerve in the Bob Bankier Cup final to defeat Tynecastle 19s 5-4 on penalties.

The scores were tied 1-1 at New Dundas park after 90 minutes with Tynie’s Daniel Cameron levelling late on to cancel out James Burt’s opener. With the sides unable to be separated after the additional 20 minutes of extra time, penalties were required.

With both teams scoring three penalties during the first five the shoot-out went to sudden death. Tynie’s Matthew McKenzie and Burt both scored and Leith keeper Jamie Shiel made himself the hero when he saved Hamish Levein’s penalty low down. Stephen Faichney kept his cool to pick out the bottom right corner to seal victory.

It could have been a very different story as both teams had chances to win it in regulation time.

Tynecastle were made to soak up a sustained period of pressure early on and shots from outside the box by Athletic’s Jam McManus and Sam Laverty were blocked.

Athletic continued to probe and a McManus header from a corner brought a fantastic save from Chris Burt at full stretch. Then, with 20 minutes on the clock, Burt again helped keep the scores unchanged as he touched Laverty’s close range shot onto the bar.

As the half progressed, Athletic’s dominance faded and Tynie began to show real attacking intent. Their first real chance came on the half hour after some patient build-up. Jack Cowan received the ball square from the right and he tried a laced shot that was met with a low diving save from Shiel.

Although Tynie were finishing the half looking improved, Athletic fashioned the best chance to go ahead. Laverty again was the man with space to shoot in the box but McKenzie cleared the ball off the line in the nick of time.

With 20 minutes remaining Athletic and Tynecastle threw caution to the wind in a bid to bring the silverware home.

Tynie’s Sonny Swanson must have thought he had got his side in front when he broke down the left before darting into the box and sending a stinging shot towards to the bottom left corner but Shiel got his positioning right to palm the ball away.

Athletic broke the deadlock when Laverty cut the ball back from the left to Burt in the area and he picked his spot to make it 1-0.

Tynie quickly replied to make it 1-1. A hopeful ball in to the area was half punched clear by the Athletic keeper and Cameron scored a quite brilliant effort as he half volleyed the ball in from a tight angle.

It was a fair scoreline after the 90 minutes and although both sides could have won it in extra time, penalties almost seemed inevitable with keepers Shiel and Burt having a fantastic game.

Tynecastle 19s: Christopher Burt, Scott Hay, Matthew Quinn, Lewis Murray, Ryan Mayer, Ciaron Small, Daniel Cameron, Daniel Headspeath, Aaron Nugent, Hamish Levein, Jake Hughes, Matthew McKenzie, Sonny Swanson, Jack Cowan, Ben Gardiner, Scott Page

Leith Athletic 19s: Morgan Mcintosh, Ross Aitchison, Sam Mclaren, Calum Sandison, Tommy Paterson, Ross Larner, Marco McBride, Sam Laverty, Coll Reekie, James Burt, Stephen Faichney, Jay McManus, Lee Moore, Jamie Chapman, Harry Davis, Jamie Shiel