Leith Athletic face Spartans in League Cup Final

Davey Stewart. Photo courtesy of Spartans
Davey Stewart. Photo courtesy of Spartans
Have your say

Leith Athletic and Spartans will contest The Central Taxis League Cup Final next month after Spartans sealed a 4-1 semi-final victory over Coldstream with Davey Stewart netting a hat-trick on Sunday.

Stewart has been in impressive goal-scoring form for Spartans this season and he netted a quick-fire double in the first half to give Alex Cunningham’s side a commanding first-half lead.

Coldstream striker John Crawford took his goal tally to the season to 30 when he pulled a goal back for the visitors midway through the second half.

But Stewart completed his hat-trick with ten minutes to go from the penalty spot, before Andy Howat put the seal on an impressive victory with a fourth goal late on.

“It was a great performance from the boys and I thought we thoroughly deserved our win,” said Cunningham.

In the other semi-final at Meadowbank, Premier League leaders Leith Athletic reached their third cup final of the season with a 2-0 victory over title rivals Easthouses Lily.

After a tense first half for both sides, Leith took the lead on 70 minutes through a Lewis Tracey header and within five minutes they doubled their lead through a Grant Burns penalty.

Derek Riddel’s side now have the opportunity to add further silverware to their trophy cabinet, and can stretch their lead at the top of the Premier league to eight points this weekend if they can defeat Craigroyston at Meadowbank.

Lily manager Dave McQueenie was left to ponder on what might have been, but thought his side should have had a penalty of their own.

“Graeme Young was, in my opinion, fouled in the second half within the area and we didn’t get it. We’ve also hit the bar with Ally Elliot, he had another great chance when one-on-one with the goalkeeper but shifted onto his weaker foot.”

In the King Cup, Tynecastle secured a third-round clash with Spartans after a thrilling 4-3 win over Civil Service Strollers at Fernieside.

Tony Muir opened the scoring for Tynie after eight minutes with a delicate chip over Stuart Burnside, with Chris Milligan netting a superb free-kick soon after.

Mark Pagliarulo netted his first goal for Strollers early in the second half, only for Muir to restore Tynecastle’s two goal advantage with Robbie McIntyre scoring the fourth.

Strollers threatened a late comeback with a James Guy penalty and a Scott Gormley strike but Tynecastle held on for their third straight win under interim manager Dougie Dalgleish.