Leith Athletic go nine points clear

Have your say

Leith Athletic went nine points clear at the top of the East of Scotland League after a closely-fought 2-1 win over Burntisland Shipyard at Meadowbank 3G.

Leith found the Fifers a tough nut to crack despite Shipyard being hampered by suspensions and injuries.

Leith took the lead after nine minutes when John Ferguson headed in at the back post from a Kyle Fee cross as the hosts looked to maintain their unbeaten home record.

Shipyard equalised through Ewan Henderson eight minutes before the break. He finished from inside the area after James Hainey almost doubled Leith’s lead with a header that was blocked by Shippy keeper Jordan Mushet.

The second half was largely dominated by Leith with Scott Wilson and Kerr Allan going close with efforts, whilst defender Steven Glynn was unlucky not to get a vital touch to an in-swinging free kick.

The decisive goal arrived on 77 minutes when Wilson capped off a superb solo run with a fine finish into the bottom corner.

Shipyard had chances late on to snatch a point with Ewan Fotheringham striking the bar, whilst Dale Robertson shot wide of Neil Fairnie’s post with the goal gaping with the visitors losing Conor Drury to a second yellow card.

Craigroyston claimed a much needed three points as they emerged victorious against Spartans EOS at Ainslie Park.

A 65th-minute header from Steven Moncur ensured the win for Andy Brown’s side as Spartans’ unbeaten home run came to an end.

“We had to defend well in the first half but the second half was excellent and I’m pleased to get the three points against a side who are packed with really good young players,” said Brown who has extended Andrew Swinney’s loan spell from Whitehill Welfare to the 31st of January.

Spartans also had their fair share of opportunities with Kai Wilson having an effort cleared off the line, whilst Paul Dickson hit the post and Donal Henretty headed just wide.

“I felt we had the majority of the play but I would have liked to have seen us create more clear-cut chances in the game” said Spartans manager Colin Tomassi.

Ormiston were denied a late win over Peebles Rovers at Recreation Park as John O’Hara’s side struck deep into injury time to earn a 3-3 draw.

The East Lothian side recovered from the loss of two early goals to go in level at the break with Michael Osborne netting both. Andy Jones looked to have given Ormiston the three points with a goal 15 minutes from time but Peebles were not to be denied and snatched a late point.

“The overall perfomance from the team was very good and it puts us in a good frame of mind heading into the cup game with Preston this weekend,” said an upbeat Brian Johnston.

Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale’s trip to Duns; Tynecastle’s home clash with Striling University, and Civil Service Strollers’ match with Heriot-Watt-University were all called off due to the adverse weather.