Lewis Temple strikes late to win it for Oxgangs AC

AC Oxgangs 19s
AC Oxgangs 19s
Have your say

Substitute Lewis Temple scored a last-minute winner for AC Oxgangs Under-19s as they edged out Edina Hibs in a 3-2 thriller in the second round of the Royal Edinburgh Cup at Meggetland.

The game looked to be heading to extra-time when William Noble headed in to make it 2-2 in the 85th minute. However, Oxgangs rallied late on and it was Temple who was in the right place at the right time to divert Callum McArthur’s cross to win the hosts the game.

In frosty conditions at Meggetland, this was a stop-start affair in the early stages with both sides looking anxious in the final third.

By the 20th minute the visitors seemed settled and Edina’s Scott Walker showed a signal of intent when he tried a hopeful left-footed strike from range, only to see the ball sail narrowly wide of the target.

Minutes later Oxgangs themselves seemed a lot more relaxed and they had a great opportunity to go ahead. Murray Cockburn got on the end of a cross from the right but couldn’t divert the ball on target.

The hosts could have and probably should have gone ahead ten minutes before the break when Elliot Sked drilled a free-kick across the box, but nobody was able to divert the ball in and the scores remained 0-0 at the break.

After the interval the game quickly opened up and Edina came forward with purpose. The visitors won a corner and Walker curled the ball in to right-back Ryan Dawson, who nodded in past Oxgangs goalie Andrew Dunnett.

Edina almost doubled their advantage ten minutes later when a free-kick into the box found Ryan Smith. He quickly got a shot away and it looked to be heading towards the net, but a late block at the back from Sam Philp was enough to divert the ball off target.

It was to prove a crucial moment in the game as, within the space of five minutes, the momentum swung in the hosts’ favour and Oxgangs turned the match on its head.

After a good spell of pressure from the home side, they finally got the breakthrough they were looking for when Cockburn cut inside from the right, broke into the box and buried the ball in the back of the net.

Oxgangs continued to press high up the pitch and moments later they grabbed a 2-1 lead. Jamie Hamilton was slipped in behind the defence down the left wing and he smashed the ball against the post. It broke to substitute Temple and he couldn’t miss the gaping goal from seven yards out.

Temple looked to have sealed it for the home side but Edina had other ideas and, with three minutes to go, they grabbed a late equaliser. Another set-piece into the area wasn’t dealt with by the Oxgangs defence and the ball fell to Noble, who blasted in.

Not to be outdone, however, Oxgangs surged forward as the clock reached 90 and Temple bagged a second when he got on the end of Callum McArthur’s ball into the area to divert it in at the back post.

Into stoppage-time, it was all hands on deck for the hosts as they looked to see the game out with Edina surging forward in attack. They dug deep at the back and managed to clear two consecutive corners as the visitors looked determined to provide another twist in the tale. It was to be Oxgangs’ day, however, and the referee blew the final whistle to end what was an enthralling cup tie at Meggetland.

AC Oxgangs 19s: Andrew Dunnett, Murray Cockburn, Tom Embleton, Jamie Hamilton, Neil Middleton, Paul Macari, Shaun Marshall, Sam Leslie, Sam Philp, Gavin Reid, Jack Montgomery, Callum McArthur, Campbell Stephen, Lewis Temple, Elliot Sked, Callum Berwick.

Edina Hibs 19s: Craig Kinnear, Ryan Dawson, Brandon Torrance, William Noble, Ryan Kearney, Brandon Brammer, Scott Walker, Liam Thomson, John Fleming, Jack Pullar, Nicholas Tonner, Cameron Jeffrey, Connor Burke, Leighton Paterson, Ryan Smith, Daniel Tomassi.