Linlithgow Rose’s league hopes take massive blow

Have your say

Any hopes Linlithgow had of winning the Super League title were blown away with a stuttering second-half performance which saw the Haws take all three points courtesy of a Greig Smith thunderbolt.

Linlithgow boss David McGlynn lamented his players’ performance, saying: “It was a poor performance from us after we started so well. We scored the opener then had a couple of goals chalked off for offside with the referee overruling his assistant for the first one.

“Overall it was a disappointing day for us with any chance of winning the title now out the window.”

The visitors started the game brightly and took the lead in the 25th minute. An Andy Shirra free-kick was deflected wide right to Blair Batchelor, who came at the back post at pace to knock the ball into an empty net.

Linlithgow then had the ball in the net twice with the referee ruling offside on both occasions. On first viewing, the first decision appeared somewhat harsh as the referee overruled his assistant who hadn’t raised his flag for Tommy Coyne’s header. The home side levelled in the 40th minute when Calum Adamson’s cross wasn’t dealt with by goalkeeper Ally Adams and Batchelor headed into his own net from just a couple of yards.

The equaliser seemed to galvanise Hill Of Beath and they struck again on the hour mark for what turned out to be the winner. Smith used his craft on the left wing before turning inside and curling a thunderbolt into the postage-stamp corner. Linlithgow tried hard to find an opening but the Haws were always dangerous on the break and should have added to their lead. In the dying minutes Rose defender Jamie McKenzie was sent off for a last-man tackle.

Hill Of Beath: Hall, McCulloch, Connors, Wilson, Dair, Leishman, Adamson, Moffat, Hay, McKenzie, G Smith. Subs: Bryce, Renton, Grierson, C Smith.

Linlithgow: Adams, Batchelor, Thom, McKenzie, Leiper, MacLennan, Weir, Shirra, Kelly, Coyne, Kelbie. Subs: Baptie, Jones, McGregor, Strickland, McKinven.