Lothians Schools Cup goes down to the wire

Have your say

Queensferry High won the Lothian Schools FA Cup, defeating Broughton High in a penalty shoot-out after the match had ended 2-2 at Ainslie Park.

Queensferry coach Alistair Brailey felt that his team deserved the victory, saying: “It was tight. It was strong with some hard challenges but it was a fair result. They did well to come back into the match.”

Queensferry opened the scoring after 49 minutes when Rory Crawford broke through on goal but was taken down by goalkeeper Ryan Forsyth. Liam Ure stepped up and confidently placed his penalty into the bottom left corner.

Ciaran Small almost doubled the lead six minutes later but his free kick flew narrowly over the crossbar from 25 yards.

Queensferry, though, looked to have obtained an unassailable position when Ure added his second goal of the match after 61 minutes. His shot went low into the net from ten yards following a delicious through ball from the left wing which put the striker through one-on-one with the keeper.

However, that goal did not quite knock the stuffing out of Broughton and they almost pulled a goal back immediately but Fraser Eddington’s shot from 16 yards was tipped wide by goalkeeper Robbie Cothill. Six minutes later Broughton’s hopes were lifted further when Queensferry’s Ryan Beveridge was given a straight red card for foul and abusive language.

Broughton’s comeback began with nine minutes remaining when David Scobie shot into the net from 12 yards after receiving a pass from Eddington.

And they almost secured parity with 76 minutes played when Blair Atkinson’s shot from the edge of the area was tipped wide by Cothill. Duncan Player then headed the ball wide of the Queensferry goal from the resulting corner.

But Broughton completed the comeback with just two minutes remaining. Paul Dickson received the ball in the penalty area and took the it round Cothill before calmly passing it ball into the net to the delight of the Broughton support – and the misery of the travels from the Ferry.

The match went straight to penalties after the final whistle, and despite Sam Shaw hammering Queensferry’s opening kick against the crossbar, his team held on to win the shootout 5-4 in sudden death. After Lee Hunter’s penalty was saved by Cothill, Mabon hammered the ball high into the roof of the net to ensure Queensferry’s victory.

Broughton head coach Andy McAdam remains proud of their achievements this year. He said: “We were not good enough. Our first half was the worst we have played all season and we were lucky to be level at half-time.

“We played better in the second half but did not start playing well until we were two goals down. Once we were two goals down we did really well to come back.

“Paul Dickson’s finish under pressure was excellent but it was too late by then. When it goes to penalties it is anyone’s game and their keeper made two good saves.

“The boys did fantastically to get into the final. We beat Linlithgow and then beat Musselburgh in the semi-final. We had a tough half of the draw and did absolutely brilliantly to get into the final.”

The first half was goalless but there were chances for Queensferry’s Crawford, and his team-mate, Bradd Campsie, saw his free kick tipped over the bar by the Broughton goalkeeper.

For Broughton, Eddington’s shot from six yards was tipped wide by Cothill and Scobie was blocked twice in succession by Ryan Travis. Eddington then took the ball round Cothill, but Campsie cleared.

Broughton High School: Ryan Forsyth, Scott Ewan, Duncan Player, Paul Dickson, Azad Okan, Kris Buchanan, Brendan Muir, David Scobie, Fraser Eddington, Blair Atkinson, Daniel McIvor, ConnalTolmie, Lee Horribine, Lewis Norris, Lee Hunter, Aaron Cook.

Queensferry High School: Robbie Cothill, James Mabon, John Paul Dickson, Sam Shaw, Bradd Campsie, Ryan Travis, Ryan Mayer, Ryan Beveridge, Clayton Crowther, Liam Ure, Rory Crawford, Adam Morrison, Andrew Henry, Ciaran Small, Cameron Kerr, Calum Bowden.