Lowland League: Edinburgh Uni win; Spartans lose

Jack Guthrie scored the opener for Edinburgh Uni
Jack Guthrie scored the opener for Edinburgh Uni
Have your say

Students secure first points of season

Edinburgh University 4

Threave Rovers 0

EDINBURGH UNIVERSITY took the lead after nine minutes when Jack Guthrie slipped the ball under the advancing Threave No.1 Nikola Rajovic. The visitors went close to equalising when a looping header from Alistair Barnes forced Mark Tait into a brilliant one-handed save. David Maskrey had a firm strike well saved on 34 minutes and, from the ensuing corner kick to the near post, Edinburgh scored their second with a deflection off Kieran Jackson past his keeper Rajovic. Threave received a major setback on 49 minutes when Ben Irving made a dangerous high tackle on Duncan Black in the Edinburgh penalty area and was cautioned for the second time and sent off. The home side continued to create good chances and, on 78 minutes, a Harvey McIntosh cross was firmly struck home by Maskrey for Edinburgh’s third goal. A fourth goal followed on 84 minutes as Maskrey released Aitken and he rounded the keeper before driving the ball home.

Edinburgh University: Tait, Macfarlane, McIntosh, Sutherland, Black (Jackson), Maelger (Mair), McCrory-Irving, Daniels-Yeoman, Guthrie (Aitken), Maskrey, Patterson. Subs: Mcmillan, Conington, Murray, Tufail.

Threave Rovers: Rajovic, Phillips (Tait), Patterson, Forsyth, Jamieson, Fyfe (Hammond), Struthers (Couper), Blain, Jackson, Barnes, Irving. Subs: Milligan.

Gretna 2008 1

Spartans 0

It was almost a dream start for Spartans within 60 seconds after Michael Herd’s cross was headed wide by Danny Main. A carbon-copy cross six minutes later from the same player found Aaron Murrell on the penalty spot but the teenager could not direct his header on goal. Gretna’s first opportunity of the game came on the quarter hour mark when Brandon Longcake rattled the bar from close range when it looked easier to score. With two minutes left in a half largely played out in the midfield, a long flighted ball behind the Spartans defence was worked back into the box for Darren Addison who put the hosts ahead just two minute prior to the interval. A trio of early chances in the second half saw Dougie Samuel’s side come close to clawing back Gretna’s narrow lead, however a combination of fine goalkeeping by Vinny Parker and frustration in front of goal kept it at 1-0. Jamie Dishington was next to test the busy Parker with a rasping shot from the edge of the box before Murrell almost grabbed an equaliser in the final minute when his thunderous strike smashed against the bar.

Gretna 2008: Parker, Graham, Atkinson (Graham), Casey, Inglis, Crozier, Longcake, Addison, Douglas, Milligan (Rea), Smith. Subs: Thorburn, Goodwin, Reid, Murray.

Spartans: Carswell, Brown, Stevenson, Malone (Mair), Main, Greenhill, Dishington (Carmichael), Ward, Murrell, Thomson, Herd. Subs: Sanderson, trialist, MacKinnon.