Lowland League Round-Up: Eight-men Whitehill hang on

Edinburgh City captain Dougie Gair scored the opener
Edinburgh City captain Dougie Gair scored the opener
Have your say

Edinburgh Uni thrash Cumbernauld and champions City win on the road

Dalbeattie Star 1

Whitehill Welfare 1

Following Grant Carnie’s departure during the week Whitehill U20s manager Ian Flynn was in the dugout at Islecroft Park to face Dalbeattie Star. The home side took the lead just before half time when Lewis Sloan drilled a shot past Bryan Young from the edge of the box. Whitehill started the second half strongly and both Craig Anderson and Jack Jardine went close to an equaliser. Whitehill’s task got even harder when first Tony Muir was shown a straight red card and then Connor McGregor received a second yellow in a matter of minutes heading into the closing stages. In the most unlikely of finishes in stoppage time, substitutes James Flynn and Jamie Devlin combined with Devlin collecting a ball over the top and scoring past Fraser Morton in goal to level. In the celebrations Callum Connolly picked up a second yellow card to leave Whitehill to see out the dying seconds with only eight men.

Dalbeattie Star: Morton, Wilson, Thorburn, Neill, Maxwell, MacPherson, Wells, Todd, Muir, Sloan, Fyfe. Subs: McHarrie, Dunn, Fergusson, Johnstone, Proudlock, Roan, Drysdale

Whitehill Welfare: Young, Nisbet, O’Hara, McGregor, Murray, Williams, Manson, Connolly, Muir, Anderson, Jardine Subs: Knight, Devlin, Flynn, Kerr

Edinburgh Uni 4

Cumbernauld Colts 0

Cumbernauld Colts started energetically and had the better of the opening phase of the game. Edinburgh gradually settled and skillful play by Jack Guthrie created a fine 
opportunity for Ross Patterson, but his drive from 15 yards was well saved by Chris Fahey. The visitors suffered a major blow when their captain and midfielder Ross Ballantyne was injured after 55 minutes and had to be replaced. On 63 minutes, after Guthrie was fouled, the resulting free kick from Harvey McIntosh deceived Fahey and Guthrie was on hand to tap in the rebound. The same player registered his second on 68 minutes when a cross from Patterson was turned into the net. The students had the upper hand and created a succession of chances before Guthrie turned provider for Patterson to drive home Edinburgh’s third goal from close range on 75 minutes. Guthrie completed his hat-trick on 90 minutes racing onto a through ball and finishing decisively from 20 yards.

Edinburgh University: Tait, Thomson, McIntosh, Vila, Black, Daniels-Yeoman, Evans, Ritchie (Verkaik then Sutherland), Guthrie, McCrory-Irving, Patterson (Condie). Subs not used: Mair, Murray, Davison.

Cumbernauld Colts: Fahey, Duncan, Ramsay, Oliver (Ward), Davidson, Broadfoot, Ballantyne (Munn), Pirrie, Selkirk, Hunter, O’Neill. Subs not used: Kirwan, Giles, Barclay, Black, 

Gretna 2008 0

Edinburgh City 3

City took the lead in the fifth minute, Dougie Gair netting from the spot after Parker had brought down Ross 
Allum. Gretna’s task was made even harder in 27 minutes after Dean Rea received a straight red card for an over-the-ball tackle on John Dunn. In 68 minutes Aaron Dunsmore doubled City’s lead, lobbing Parker from 12 yards. John MacDonald scored number three from six yards out to complete the win.

Gretna 2008: Parker, Norman, Inglis (Blake 73), Casey, Rea, Crozier, Wood, Graham, Anderson (McMath 71), Liddell (Renyard 56), Smith. Subs not used: Triallist, White.

Edinburgh City: Stobie, MacDonald, Mbu, Guthrie (McConnell 61), Paterson, Dunsmore, McFarland, Gair, Allum (Carse 74), Dunn (Harrison 81), McKee. Subs not used: Caddow, Donaldson, Torrance, Amos.