Mbu’s halfway-line stunner takes City into semis

Joe Mbu's goal was his first for Edinburgh City
Joe Mbu's goal was his first for Edinburgh City
Have your say

JOE MBU’S extraordinary strike from near the halfway line was enough to secure Edinburgh City a second-successive win at East Kilbride and take them through to the South Region Challenge Cup semi-finals.

With important Lowland League matches coming up, City manager Gary Jardine decided to rest John Dunn and Nico Gibson while Ross Allum returned to his usual forward role partnered by Mark McConnell.

East Kilbride threatened in the first minute, with Stobie having to punch clear a shot from Joao Victoria. Allum and Donaldson then went close for City. In 35 minutes, Allum showed great skill but his shot flew inches over the bar, and two minutes later Victoria had the ball in the City net, only for it to be ruled out for offside.

Two minutes before the interval Mbu scored his first-ever goal for City. From just a few yards inside the home half and practically on the right touchline, he lofted a mighty free-kick into the crowded East Kilbride penalty box. The home defenders all looked for someone else to clear, and the ball wriggled between the keeper and the right-hand post.

The home side pressed hard for the equaliser and Stobie had to produce vital saves to deny EK pair McLeish and Templeton early in the second half. On the hour, Lachlan was denied by a goal-saving challenge from McFarland.

City sub Osborne was controversially denied a goal in 84 minutes with a very late offside flag, and the match ended with a barrage of East Kilbride attacks, Paterson and Mbu making vital blocks on the City line.

East Kilbride: Gordon, Victoria, Coll, Buchanan, Morris, Lachlan, Hastings, McLeish, Brady, McBride, Templeton. Subs: Giblin, O’Hara, Howie, Mitchell, Kerr.

Edinburgh City: Stobie, Caddow, Donaldson, McKee, Paterson, Mbu, McFarland, Gair, Allum, Vanson, McConnell. Subs: Torrance, Harrison, Osborne, Guthrie, Mackintosh.