Miller Cup: Victoria Loco steam past Vale

Victoria Loco beat North Merchiston Vale 3-0 at a rain-sodden Saughton to progress in the Miller Cup
Victoria Loco beat North Merchiston Vale 3-0 at a rain-sodden Saughton to progress in the Miller Cup
Have your say

Victoria Loco progressed to the second round of the Miller Cup after beating North Merchiston Vale 3-0 on a rain-soaked afternoon at Saughton.

The hosts made inroads into the opposition half early on and almost broke the deadlock ten minutes in.

Shaun Dunn tested Manuel Delso in the Merchiston goal with a half-volley 25 yards out, but the goalie did well to get down and direct the ball wide of the target.

It was a sign of things to come from Victoria, who had been playing free-flowing, attacking football from the off.

The pressure eventually paid off when in the 19th minute Victoria earned themselves a penalty-kick for a push in the box.

Robert Dunn took responsibility and sent Delso the wrong way to give the hosts an early advantage.

Then, just before the half-time interval, Victoria doubled their lead through Danny Glancy.

Shaun Dunn created space for himself down the left wing before finding Glancy at the back post, who slid in to score his side’s second goal.

Despite an improved second half performance from the visitors they just weren’t clinical enough in the final third to make a mark on the game.

Victoria wrapped things up late on.

Chris Keir tried his luck from 25 yards with a speculative effort, and a deflection completely deceived Delso with the ball fortuitously finding the bottom corner of the goal.

Da Vinci have winning code

Roslin Da Vinci continued their unbeaten start in Division 1 with a 3-1 win over league leaders Salters Athletic.

The visitors took a deserved lead 15 minutes in. Marc Stephen played a defence-splitting through ball to Ross Connell who sprinted onto it before slotting into the bottom corner.

Despite their best efforts, Salters weren’t able to respond until the 60th minute mark when they eventually pulled the scores level. A free-kick delivered into the back post found Chris Robertson, who got in front of his marker to nod in.

With 20 minutes to go Roslin were ahead again. A corner ball broke to Calum Edwards, who whipped in a dangerous cross to Scott Edwards, who headed in with precision.

The away side put the outcome beyond any doubt with a third goal. Craig Donaldson brought the ball down the left before beating the Salters right-back and delivering a ball across the box. Laurie Jones was the receiver and he sealed the points for Roslin.

Top marks for students

Edinburgh University ran out comfortable 5-1 winners against Pathhead in the first round of the Miller Cup at Peffermill.

The home side started strongly and soon took an early lead. Phil McNicholas was put through one-on-one and he calmly finished.

After Andy Findlay doubled Edinburgh’s lead 30 minutes in, Andy Thomson put the hosts out of reach with a third before half-time. Pathhead conceded a penalty and Thomson smashed the ball just out of the goalie’s reach to the right.

McNicholas grabbed his second and Edinburgh’s fourth after the break with a neat finish from just outside the box.

Pathhead managed a consolation goal ten minutes later through Darren Irvine, but

With ten minutes remaining the hosts rounded off an impressive performance with goal number five.

A lovely weighted through ball from midfield found Findlay who sprinted onto it before finishing comfortably.