Musselburgh Windsor put on five-star show

Musselburgh Windsor 13s were in fine form during their 5-2 victory over Edinburgh City Reds 13s
Musselburgh Windsor 13s were in fine form during their 5-2 victory over Edinburgh City Reds 13s
Have your say

Musselburgh Windsor 13s progressed to the second round of the South East Region Cup after they brushed aside Edinburgh City Reds 13s with a 5-2 scoreline.

Ciaran Young opened the scoring early on for Musselburgh with a fantastic free-kick from distance which flew into the top corner.

The visitor’s second and third goals came in consecutive minutes shortly after to give Musselburgh a commanding lead. Firstly, Fraser Brockie found the net with a placed effort. Then, Ewan Graham got on the end of a through ball to slot in.

To their credit, Edinburgh City didn’t stop trying and pulled one back just before the break. It was a great run on the counter by Niall Dance, who set up Andrew Boyle to finish off the move.

Any hope the home side had, however, was extinguished in the 53rd minute when Musselburgh were awarded a penalty. Aodhan Heaney stepped up confidently to score.

With ten minutes to go, City were resigned to defeat but Finlay Purdie restored some pride when he sprinted on to a hopeful ball forward before finding the net.

Just before the end, Heaney was on hand to score another from the spot to extend Musselburgh’s winning margin.

Currie find win recipe

Currie Star 17s ran out 3-1 winners in their Victor Paris Cup first round clash against Dalkeith Miners 17s at Meggetland.

Fifteen minutes into the tie it was the away side who struck first after they began strongly. After patient build-up play, Phil Alexander received the ball just outside the box before pinging a shot on goal, which flew in.

The response from Currie was quick and ten minutes later their urgency paid off. Mark McGovern shrugged off his marker on the right-hand side of the box before shooting across goal and into the far corner.

Currie continued looking bright on the attack and took a deserved lead before half-time. Sean Watt ran on to a lobbed through ball from Callum Brown before delicately chipping the advancing Dalkeith goalie in the 35th minute.

Despite their best efforts, an equaliser was proving elusive for Dalkeith, who kept searching for another goal after the break.

The Currie rearguard were standing firm and in the 75th minute they grabbed a third to kill the game off. Jake Henderson bombed down the left wing before cutting in and threading through a ball to Aaron Singh, who fired in a well-executed shot.

Carrick’s trick for Oxgangs

AC Oxgangs 17s progressed to the second round of the Victor Paris Cup after an impressive 5-0 victory against Penicuik Athletic Blues 17s.

Oxgangs broke the deadlock in the tenth minute. Callum Miller played a precision through ball to Joshua Neill, who finished well. Five minutes later the hosts doubled their lead through Jamie Carrick. Coner Purvis provided width down the right-hand side before whipping in a decent ball to Carrick, who made no mistake to head in.

Carrick soon doubled his tally, latching on to Raymond Law’s hopeful ball forward from defence and slotting home.

It seemed to spark some life into the visitors and they almost pulled one back before the break. Callum Mackenzie’s shot from a tight angle could only hit the post however.

In the 50th minute, Carrick grabbed his hat-trick after rounding the keeper, and Robbie Beaton put the icing on the cake when he curled in the fifth from the edge of the box.