North Merchi Vale stun Ed Uni in 96th minute

North Merchiston Vale managed a draw against Edinburgh University who were ahead twice
North Merchiston Vale managed a draw against Edinburgh University who were ahead twice
Have your say

Roddie MacLeod scored in added time to salvage a point for North Merchiston Vale as they drew 2-2 with Edinburgh Uni at Harrison Park in Premier Division 2.

Despite early pressure from Vale, Edinburgh went ahead six minutes before half-time. Dan Birchall curled the ball in from the right and it evaded everyone to nestle in the bottom corner of the net. The students could have put the game to bed after the interval when Phil McNicholas spun and shot in the box, only to see his effort rattle the post.

The tie became an end-to-end affair and Vale finally grabbed a goal after 69 minutes. Scott Millar kept calm one-on-one to stab the ball past Jan Niklas-Seiler in the Edinburgh goal.

There were still more twists and turns to come though. Andrew Findlay was judged to have been fouled in the area, much to the disbelief of the Vale players. The referee awarded a penalty which Andy Thomson put away.

With just minutes to go it looked like winning Edinburgh the game but, in the 96th minute, substitute MacLeod popped up in the box to nod in Cem Uysal’s free-kick.

Sheriff fires Vale into final

Heriot Vale progressed to the final of the Challenge Cup after beating Newcraighall Leith Victoria 3-2 at Broughton High School.

The holders didn’t get off to the best of starts however as Newcraighall took the lead after 20 minutes. After a ball into the box wasn’t dealt with by the defence, Ryan Moore managed to stick it in from close range.

Vale equalised with ten minutes of the half to go. Willy Mitchell received the ball just outside the area before placing a shot into the top corner.

Newcraighall took the lead after the break once more when James Reilly controlled a ball into the box before tucking it away past the Vale goalkeeper.

Again, however, the visitors replied to make it 2-2, with much debate surrounding the goal. Murray Carnie steered the ball towards the net from a set play and a goal was awarded by the referee, despite pleas from the Newcraighall players who were adamant the ball hadn’t gone over the goal line.

With time ticking away, both sides pressed but Vale scored when Alan Sheriff volleyed in from seven yards out to book his side a place in the final.

South Gyle to Challenge

South Gyle will play Heriot Vale in the Challenge Cup final after a 2-1 win away to Tollcross Thistle at Saughton.

After a goalless opening 45 minutes both teams came out in the second half determined to get off the mark. Despite Tollcross starting the brighter after the interval, South Gyle went ahead 60 minutes in. Chris Scott played in Johnnie Niven who finished the move off from close range.

With the momentum in their favour the visitors continued to press and they hit the bar minutes later through Stewart Crozier. It was a warning sign that wasn’t heeded by the hosts and minutes later South Gyle doubled their advantage. Niven burst into the area from the flank before teeing up Scott Riddell to make it 2-0.

At the very end Tollcross pulled a goal back through Sam Philip’s header but it was a case of too little too late for the hosts.