Ogunro wants Edinburgh University to finish with flourish

Finn Daniels-Yeoman celebrates his winner. Pic: Andrew O'Brien
Finn Daniels-Yeoman celebrates his winner. Pic: Andrew O'Brien
Have your say

Edinburgh University boss Dorian Ogunro has set his players a challenge of winning every game between now and the end of the season.

A stunning second-half comeback saw the students overturn a 2-0 half-time deficit to win 3-2 against struggling Selkirk – striker Jack Guthrie’s brace and a late Finn Daniels-Yeoman strike completing a remarkable turnaround at East Peffermill.

Ogunro was incensed by his side’s insipid first-half display as goals from Gary Nicolson and Jordan Hopkinson had the Borders outfit on course for just their sixth victory of the campaign.

But, a fired-up Uni side got their just rewards for a much-improved second-half performance to grind out the three points – a victory that moves them 12 points clear of bottom-of-the-table Preston Athletic.

And, now Ogunro has urged his players to go the rest of the season undefeated.

“I want us to win all our games it’s as simple as that,” Ogunro said. “Our remaining matches all involve teams outwith the top six so I think we should be winning them all. That’s what I’ve told the guys. We’ve got to set ourselves those standards as I know how capable we are. We were never going to be fighting against relegation this season but our league position (13th) needs to improve.

“It was great character to comeback the way we did but I was annoyed at half time. Selkirk played exactly the way we expected them to but the defending for their goals, albeit they finished them well, was awful.

“Of course I’m happy but I’m raging with our first-half performance.

“I thought Bertie Collins was fantastic for us when he came on. His runs in behind, his link-up play and he set up both of Jack’s goals. He was excellent, so he definitely gives us something to think about for this weekend.”

Midfielder Daniels-Yeoman passed up a gilt-edged chance within 60 seconds, blasting over from 12 yards unchallenged following a Guthrie cutback.

The visitors responded and went ahead in the sixth minute as Ryan Sclater was afforded time to pick out Nicolson with a cross and the player made no mistake from just inside the six-yard box.

Sclater headed wide from a corner following a near post run before Nicolson forced Uni goalkeeper Mark Tait to deny him a second.

Guthrie gave the Uni defence some respite as he struck the outside of Gregor Amos’ right-hand post but Hopkinson was on hand to double Selkirk’s lead ten minutes before the interval when he headed in from a Nicolson cross.

Scott McCrory-Irving flashed a shot just wide as Uni attacked with more purpose after the restart.

But it was substitute Collins who started the fightback as his incisive pass on the hour mark freed Guthrie, who shrugged off the attention of defender Andrew Fleming to finish.

Amos denied McCrory-Irving after a wonderful flowing move involving Guthrie and George Nikolaidis but the Selkirk No1 could do nothing to prevent Guthrie from levelling things up following another perfectly-weighted pass from Collins.

Then, with just nine minutes remaining, the visitors thought they had cleared a Nikolaidis corner only for Daniels-Yeoman to find the far corner of the net on the half volley from 20 yards.

Edinburgh University: Tait, Murray, McMillan (McIntosh 65), Smith, Verkaik, Daniels-Yeoman, Nikolaidis (Maskrey 81), Ritchie, Guthrie, McCrory-Irving, Matthew (Collins 46). Subs: Davison, Irvine.

Selkirk: Amos, Sclater, Christie, Harley, Fleming, Miller, King, Nicolson, Scott, Neave (Collin 61), Hopkinson. Subs: Tshibaneu, Sheridan.