Open-top bus needed for Tynecastle 13s

Tynecastle 13s celebrate with the Lothian Buses Cup. Pic: Chris Martin
Tynecastle 13s celebrate with the Lothian Buses Cup. Pic: Chris Martin
Have your say

Tynecastle 13s were crowned Lothian Buses Cup winners after a 4-0 win over Edina Hibs 13s at New Dundas Park.

Tynie wasted no time in getting going, grabbing two goals in the opening five minutes. With their first attack of the game, Ross Watson crossed to Ivan Alapiki and he provided a composed finish past goalie Robbie Wilson.

Minutes later the striker grabbed his and Tynecastle’s second of the game when he went on a mazy run before beating Wilson.

As the game edged towards half time, Edina began to look more lively, but a third goal for Tynie half an hour in was enough to scupper their momentum. Alapiki was adjudged to have been fouled in the area by Wilson and so a penalty was awarded, which Scott Jardine gratefully tucked away.

As the final drew to a close, Robbie Neave came off the bench to put the icing on the cake for Tynecastle as his shot from the edge of the box flew into the top right corner to make it 4-0.

• Kearney is head boy for Loanhead MYFC 19s

Loanhead MYFC 19s kept up the pressure at the top of Division 1 with a narrow 2-1 win away to Hillfield Swifts at Meggetland.

Despite both sides coming close in the opening 45, the first half finished goalless thanks to good keeping from Hillfield’s James Donaldson and Loanhead’s Ben Mackenzie.

After the restart, however, the goals began to flow and it was Loanhead who gave themselves the lead with 60 minutes gone.

Darren McCraw burst down the left hand flank to the by-line before cutting the ball back for Sam Jones to power in from four yards out.

Hillfield brought the scores level 15 minutes later. A free-kick from the right was met by Daryl Healy and the forward headed in from close range past Mackenzie.

The visitors, keen to pick up all three points, threw caution to the wind with ten minutes remaining as they pressed for a response. They found a winner when Jones’ corner found Ryan Kearney’s head at the back post to secure his side the points.

• Penicuik 15S lift League Cup

Penicuik Athletic 15s lifted the Division 3 League Cup as they edged out Dunbar United Colts 15s 1-0 at New Dundas Park.

Athletic began the brighter of the two sides and they grabbed what would prove to be the winning goal seven minutes in. Arran Liddle tried a cross-cum-shot from the right wing which deceived Dunbar goalie Calum Barber and ended up in the back of the net.

Dunbar then showed character to dig in and look for a response and they nearly found one with 15 minutes gone. Ewan Laing was played through on goal but he could only hit a shot straight at Penicuik keeper Scott Sutherland.

Despite their best efforts, the Colts couldn’t fashion a reply before the interval. When things got going again they continued to pile on the pressure. Filip Cimoszko had his side’s best opportunity to level the scores when he leapt to head the ball on goal from a corner but again Sutherland was equal to it.

Dunbar sent bodies forward in a desperate bid to take the game to extra-time but Penicuik stood firm.