Oxgangs 19s punish depleted Spartans

AC Oxgangs 19s showed no mercy against Spartans
AC Oxgangs 19s showed no mercy against Spartans
Share this article
Have your say

AC Oxgangs 19s progressed to the third round of the David Murray Cup after a hard-fought 4-0 win against Spartans at Meggetland.

It was a fairly even first half, with both sides having opportunities to break the deadlock.

But, after Spartans conceded a goal just before the interval, then lost a player to a red card after the break, Oxgangs took full advantage.

The best chance of the first half before the opening goal went to Spartans’ Aaron Murrell, who smashed a shot off the left-hand post from 25 yards out. Then, after the hosts forced some good saves out of Blair Lawson in the Spartans goal, Oxgangs seized the initiative. A hopeful ball into the box from the left-hand side found Murray Cockburn who got above his opponent to nod the ball in.

Five minutes into the second period, Spartans were reduced to ten men when Ben Lovie received his marching orders and the hosts took full advantage by doubling their lead. With the Spartans rearguard all at sea, a left-footed corner from Lewis Temple missed everybody and somehow found the net.

Oxgangs continued to press and it soon paid off when Max Ketchen put the ball in his own goal. The home side grabbed a fourth with five minutes to go. A cracking left-footed strike from range by Steven Havelin found the top corner.

Leith cruise into round 5

Leith Athletic 17s advanced to the fifth round of the Scottish Cup with a comfortable 4-0 away win over Aberdeen side Westdyke CC.

The hosts were bright in the opening period of the game with Leith having to soak up the attacking pressure. However, the tables soon turned and the visitors went ahead in the 20th minute when Ross Aitchison broke from midfield and set up Harry Davis to fire in at the near post.

Leith continued to push forward and soon went 2-0 up. Jay McManus took the ball past two of the Westdyke rearguard before crossing into Marco Mcbride. Mcbride, in turn, fed the ball to Davis who fired in from ten yards out. It could have been three before the break for the Capital side who continued to look for more. Leith did add two more goals to assert their dominance on the tie in the second half – Sean Waterstone slid in from close range to get in on the act before Mcbride netted after a clever run and finish.

Preston find the edge

Preston Athletic 14s edged out Lauriston Thistle 3-2 in a tightly-fought Kenny McLean Cup second-round clash at Middleshot Square.

After a fairly scrappy opening period, chances started to come thick and fast for both sides. However, the hosts made the most of their opportunities by taking the lead.

After winning a free-kick 25 yards from goal, Macauley Anderson struck a peach of an effort into the back of the net.

Lauriston gradually worked their way back into the game, though, and were level on the half hour. Lewis Watson delivered a low cross from the wing to Kalam Campbell and the teenager tapped in from five yards. Their joy was short-lived however, as two minutes later the home side were back in the ascendancy. Another free-kick from Anderson tested the visitors’ goalkeeper and it was Evan Friery who was alert to follow up the loose ball for 2-1.

Into the second half and Preston extended their advantage and looked good value for their lead. Taylor Buchan’s strike from just outside the box took a deflection to help find the back of the net.

The visitors grabbed a consolation late on for the final goal of a pulsating tie.