Penicuik put themselves into fourth round of cup

Penicuik United
Penicuik United
Have your say

PENICUIK United are through to the fourth round of the Centenary Cup after a 3-2 extra-time victory over Barca Milton 97 at Penicuik Park.

Visitors Barca will feel hugely deflated at being eliminated from the competition 
after twice taking the lead and 
appearing on course to progress into the last 16.

It was indeed Barca who looked more threatening from kick-off and opened the scoring after just three minutes. A neat move down the left enabled Steven Thomas to deliver a terrific cross into the Penicuik box and Tony Keating was there to power home a header into the top right corner.

The home side responded and Richard Meldrum’s through ball put Paul Whyte clear on goal, but Gordon Parker in the Barca goal was equal to the task and saved well.

Whyte then turned provider and his pass across the face of goal should have been seized upon by Michael Bremner, but somehow the No. 10 knocked the ball agonisingly wide from six yards.

Penicuik were back on level terms ten minutes before the break in what was a scrappy goal. A deep cross from the right saw Chris Walker rise to challenge Parker and, as the ball dropped, it appeared to hit off Walker’s left shoulder and over the line.

The hosts had opportunities just before half-time with both Walker and Brett Dalgleish having shots blocked by a dogged Barca defence.

Penicuik appeared the more likely side to add to their tally after the break, Dalgleish firing wide from 20 yards and then Whyte heading over Parker’s crossbar from a teasing Jai Whyte corner.

Barca then created a great chance of their own and one that David Moore should have done better with. Andrew Hamilton showed great strength to fend off an opponent before a perfect cutback was gathered by Moore, who took one touch, but produced a weak shot into the waiting arms of Alistair McGuinness.

Tommy Graham’s chipped pass picked out Jempson, who let the ball drop over his shoulder, and showed great skill producing a volley that wasn’t too far away from finding the net.

With time ticking down, Walker had a tremendous chance to put Penicuik ahead when having a clear view on goal, but the winger lacked composure as he fired straight at Parker who gathered with ease. With five minutes remaining, Barca looked to have snatched victory when Moore received a pass from Hamilton and weaved his way across the Penicuik box before striking a low drive into the bottom right corner.

However, Penicuik fought back two minutes later when a shot from the edge of the box was spilled by Parker and Bremner was on hand to knock the ball over the line despite Parker appearing as though he had regained possession.

With the score level at 2-2, the match headed into an additional period where the home side notched the winner.

Three minutes into the second 15, a cross from the left wasn’t dealt with by Barca defender Steven Adams, and Bremner was there to capitalise and strike from six yards.

Penicuik coach Scott McManus said: “I felt we just shaded it and deserve to be in the next round.”

Barca’s Jamie Adams, on the other hand, believed his side can feel a little hard done by with Penicuik’s second goal. He said: “The referee’s decision with their second goal did have an big say on the game but that’s football.”

Penicuik United: Alistair McGuinness, Ross Allen, Jai Whyte, Gary Watt, Ryan Kerr, Brett Dalgleish, Stuart Inglis, Richard Meldrum, Paul Whyte, Michael Bremner, Chris Walker, Mark Ireland, Gary Walker, Ian McNamara, David Livie.

Barca Milton 97: Gordon Parker, Samuel McKenna, Steven Thomas, Steven Adams, Colin McGhee, Tommy Graham, Derek Forbes, Stephen Christie, Tony Keating, Justin Jempson, Andrew Hamilton, David Moore, Martin Forbes, Paul Forbes.