Preston Athletic knock out Edinburgh City

Preston manager David Bingham. Picture by: Malcolm McCurrach
Preston manager David Bingham. Picture by: Malcolm McCurrach
Have your say

Preston Athletic advanced to the third round of the SFA South Region Cup with a deserved victory over a disappointing Edinburgh City side.

Despite their domination of the opening spell, the visitors had few attempts on target. In ten minutes there was a sign of what was to come when Sean Martin neatly lobbed the ball over the advancing Mackintosh, but the City keeper swiftly turned to smother the ball before it could be clipped into the net.

The Preston striker was not to be denied and on 15 minutes he opened the scoring with a short-range free header from a Ryan Moore cross. In 27 minutes Stenhouse saw Gilbertson off his line and launched an audacious 60-yard shot which only just cleared the crossbar. As the interval approached Preston turned on the pressure but, because of the slippy pitch, their finishing was below standard.

On restarting City took control of the match once more. Gair’s claim for a handball penalty was waved away by the referee, and in 52 minutes a Stenhouse header was inches over the bar. The attacks continually foundered on the triple rocks of Gilbertson, Dodd and Foster, and eventually the home side regained the upper hand.

In 80 minutes James Reilly collected a midfield pass, beat the offside trap and shot under the advancing City keeper from 15 yards. Two minutes later captain Dougie Gair received a straight red card for dissent, and two minutes from time Sean Martin made it three for Preston Athletic, tapping in from close range after a quick-passing move carved open the City defence.

Preston Athletic: Gilbertson, Cherrie, O’Hara, Dodd, Foster, Morrison, Moore, Osbourne, Martin, Philp, Reilly. Subs: Devlin, Stewart.

Edinburgh City: Mackintosh, Caddow, Gibson, Donaldson, Paterson, McFarland, Torrance, Gair, Wilson, Stenhouse, Vanson. Subs: McConnell, Harrison, Guthrie, Moffat.