Rangers’ Lee Wallace hailed by Heriot Vale boss

Heriot Vale with Lee Wallace third from left
Heriot Vale with Lee Wallace third from left
Have your say

Heriot Vale made it a season to remember as they ousted Edinburgh Rose 3-1 to lift the Logan Cup at New Victoria Park on Saturday.

Vale, newly-crowned LEAFA Premier Division 1 champions, have also added the Blaikie and Challenge Cup to their collection, with their most recent success increasing their tally to four accolades for the season.

“This is the best season I can remember,” manager Ally Wilson said. “To win three trophies and the league is unprecedented. We have a very small squad, but the boys have been terrific.

“I think the training by Lee Wallace has really helped.

“The guys have really enjoyed it, been along two nights a week, and he’s brought that wee bit of professionalism to the club and I think he’s just raised it with his knowledge and what have you.”

There was cause for concern after just two minutes when referee Simon Etchells took a tumble and required ‘the magic sponge’ treatment on his ankle before the game got underway again.

The opening ten minutes was a committed affair with both sides looking to gain the initiative, but as the first half wore on, chances in front of goal were few and far between with goalkeepers Samuel Gibson of Heriot Vale and Rose’s Mark Scally rarely called into action.

Rose’s Raymond Walker jumped above his opponent in the Vale box to connect with Craig Stewart’s corner, but the striker failed to get his header on target.

Vale were the more assertive when in possession, but their deliveries into their opponents’ penalty area brought them little joy.

However, the Premier Division 1 champions did find themselves ahead four minutes before the interval.

Michael South cleverly spun his marker 30 yards from Scally’s goal and the midfielder slipped in team-mate Pieyam Khosrowpour, who drove his pass across goal to the unmarked Alan Sheriff, who made no mistake from four yards.

Khosrowpour then had a chance to double his side’s 
advantage with just seconds of the first half remaining, but his effort was miscued into the side netting when a pass across goal might have produced a more favourable outcome.

Jordyn Sheerin, who later received the man-of-the-match award, nearly got the second half off to a flyer with his cross-cum-shot, which whistled just past Scally’s top right-hand 

Walker then caught sight of Gibson in the Vale goal, but just as he was about to pull the trigger, Stuart Johnston was there to intervene with a timely block.

With 62 minutes gone, however, Vale doubled their lead when Sheerin’s threaded pass put wing-back Edward Mangan in the clear and the No.17 was intelligent enough to take his time and cut the ball back into the path of Sheerin who tucked his shot away into the corner of the net with great composure.

Three minutes later and it was all over for Rose as Jamie Stewart’s rash challenge on South resulted in a penalty being awarded to Vale – and 
Jordan Leishman made no mistake from 12 yards.

There was a moment of madness from Mangan when he got into a heated debate with opponent David Brogan and the former stupidly moved his head towards the Rose No.6, giving referee Etchells an easy decision by issuing a red card in his direction.

Craig Stewart’s goal in injury time brought a mere consolation for a dejected Rose side, who were well beaten.

Wilson added: “I think we deserved it overall. The sending off gave them that bit of a lift, which was inexcusable. Although he (Mangan) didn’t actually headbutt him, he deserved to be sent off.

“We had the third goal by that time so we were fairly comfortable, but I think over the piece we were the better team.”

Heriot Vale: Gibson, Mitchell, Johnston, Allan, Leishman, Robertson, Sheerin, South, Sheriff, Mangan, Khosrowpour. Subs: D’Angelo, Bonthrone, Bayne, Markham, Sinclair.

Edinburgh Rose: Scally, Wallace, Dunlop, J Stewart, Bisset, Brogan, C Stewart, Walker, Young, Brown, Morrison. Subs: Smith, Milne, Harvey, Maxwell, Watson.