Rapid fire helps five-star Redhall secure their treble

Redhall Star
Redhall Star
Share this article
Have your say

REDHALL STAR sealed a treble as they comfortably defeated Edinburgh Thistle 5-2 to win the J.J. McKenzie Trophy at Saughton Enclosure.

The Edinburgh and District Sunday side had already secured the league championship and the League Cup – against Thistle in a 4-0 win – going into the game.

And it took them a grand total of five minutes to get in front. Gavin Shanley was fed on the right wing and he crossed low into the box to find David Lewis, who converted low and hard for 1-0.

Thistle didn’t let the goal concession affect them as they knocked the ball about confidently. However, they found themselves two goals down after 29 minutes.

Earlier scorer Lewis was found on the right side and he played it in to Shanley – who helped it on to the left side of the box for Chris McArthur – and he struck the ball into the bottom corner with ease.

Six minutes before the break, Thistle were rewarded for their endeavours and got a goal back. Andrew Laidlaw was played through one-on-one and he poked the ball past the onrushing goalkeeper.

On the stroke of half-time, however, Redhall regained their two-goal cushion. The Thistle defence were caught off-guard by a through ball to Gary Fisher and he carefully cut the ball across to McArthur, who once again finished into the bottom corner.

It took until the 70th minute for the next goal. Redhall’s Shanley played in Lewis on the left side of the box, Robert Bruce saving the shot but being helpless to the rebound effort from Stuart Steel for 4-1.

Thistle’s impressive midfielder Craig Williamson went close with a shot from the edge of the box that was well saved to his right by Neil Wilson – before a penalty for each side finished off the cup final scoring.

Firstly, substitute Neil Hamilton stepped up for Redhall, converting for 5-1. Then, two minutes later, Thistle got a consolation for 5-2 through Williamson’s strike from 12 yards.

Redhall were deserved winners and lifted the trophy – presented by Gary McKenzie in memory of his wife – with any funds raised going towards the Diabetic Treatment Trust at the Royal Infirmary.

Meanwhile, Richie Barr’s double was enough to earn quadruple-chasing Shotts Victoria the Centenary Cup as they defeated Musselburgh 2-0 at Paties Road.

The win added to their Edinburgh West league title and Anderson Cup triumph, with the League Cup Final to come next week.

They took the lead against top-tier Musselburgh after just eight minutes. A great back-heel played in Barr one-on-one with the goalkeeper, who made no mistake as he slid the ball underneath him to find the back of the net.

After 25 minutes, Shotts were reduced to ten men. Darren Smith was adjudged to have denied a goalscoring opportunity for Musselburgh and was sent for an early bath.

Mussy, with the extra man advantage, searched hard for a goal to get back on level terms but the hard work of Shotts was not to be undone.

And, with only four minutes left, Shotts scored the sucker punch.

Great work from Jamie Callan and Johnny Linch sent Barr clear and he finished well to secure Shotts’ third piece of silverware this season.

Elsewhere, Cramond sealed a third successive promotion as they saw off Penicuik United in a 3-0 away win on Saturday.

The Premier Division 2 side took the lead after 25 minutes in the final league meeting of the season.

Kevin Walker was pulled down in the box, Peter Newby stepping up to send the goalkeeper the wrong way to break the deadlock for Cramond.

Ten minutes later, they found themselves further ahead.

A free-kick was awarded around 30 yards from goal, Mark Reid sending the dead ball into the top right-hand corner, leaving the ‘keeper with no chance.

Just after the hour mark, the three points and Cramond’s place in Premier Division 1 were well and truly sealed.

Newby floated in a set-piece to the danger area where Steven Cameron attempted to score with an audacious overhead kick – the ball slicing off his boot – only for Mark Cowan to head it over the goalie’s head for 3-0.