Redhall star keeper admits his goal was a fluke

Redhall Star keeper Lawrie McGregor scored the opener in the 2-1 victory over Musselburgh Windsor
Redhall Star keeper Lawrie McGregor scored the opener in the 2-1 victory over Musselburgh Windsor
Share this article
Have your say

Goalkeeper Lawrie McGregor fired Redhall Star ahead in the opening minute to help his side to a narrow 2-1 victory over Musselburgh Windsor in the second round of the Logan Cup.

McGregor, a security guard for G4S, saw his kick from his own box fly the length of the field before bouncing over his opposite number’s head and into the net.

“To be honest I didn’t mean it,” said the 32-year-old.

“It was a hopeful punt to the striker – I actually didn’t know I could kick that far.

“It’s just something you don’t expect to happen.

“I watched the ball bounce and I was preying nobody would touch it.

“I’m just happy to see us through to the next round of the cup.”

A little luck goes a long way, and it didn’t take long before the home side doubled their lead.

Michael Kascak crossed from the left and Craig Anderson made no mistake to head in from close range.

In the ascendancy and looking comfortable, the home side continued to press, but to their credit Musselburgh kept going and, after some perseverance, pulled one back after half-time.

After good work down the right a through ball was played to Ryan Dolan, who narrowly squeezed a shot under goal-hero McGregor.

Despite their best efforts towards the end, an equaliser was to prove elusive for Musselburgh, with Redhall showing solid defensive prowess at the back.

Jags shake up Salters

Bathgate Thistle earned a hard-fought 3-2 victory against Salters Athletic to put them in the second round of the Logan Cup.

Salters started brightly and David Jamieson wasted no time in putting them ahead with a neat finish ten minutes in.

Keen to level things up before the break, Bathgate responded with an equaliser when Mark Neil showed strength around the box to create space and fire in a shot off the bar.

As the second half began, both sides were desperate to go ahead.

It was Salters who found the breakthrough, though, thanks to a spectacular 25-yard half-volley from Graeme Taylor.

The visitors’ response was swift, and they levelled things up once more.

Neil was chopped down in the box and David Bell sent the keeper the wrong way from the resultant spot-kick.

With the momentum in their favour, Bathgate looked hungry for a winning goal and they managed to grab it with 15 minutes left on the clock.

Scott Nisbet caused problems for the Salters’ defence on the left-hand side before crossing to Neil, who fired in his second of the day from eight yards.

Yuill logs his wonder-goal

Tollcross Thistle recorded a straightforward 3-0 win in their Logan Cup second round clash away to Edinburgh University.

The visitors started the game well and were keen to impose themselves on the opposition.

It didn’t take too long for Tollcross to find the breakthrough, thanks to a bit of individual brilliance from Michael Yuill.

Running from the halfway line, Yuill beat one defender, shrugged off another and struck a peach of a left-footed effort from 20 yards out into the bottom right corner.

In the second period Tollcross continued where they left off, playing free-flowing, attacking football.

Going forward, Alan McKay ventured into the box and was caught by a defender as he went to cross the ball. A penalty was given and Kyle Hay fired it in from 12 yards.

With the hosts pushing forward in search of a way back into the game, Tollcross looked to counter and, in doing so, grabbed their third goal.

It was a fantastic ball down the line by Adam Perry which found Yuill, who drove to the by-line before crossing to Martin McCann, who finished with a well-taken header.