Reid’s brace helps Spartans raid Banks

Spartans Youth 14s
Spartans Youth 14s
Have your say

Nicholas Reid bagged a brace as Spartans FC Youth 14s sensationally knocked out last season’s Scottish Cup champions Banks O’ Dee Albion 2-0 in the fourth round of the competition at Edinburgh Academy.

Spartans gave their visitors an early scare when a Jack Ewing shot went just wide in the opening minute.

Following that close call, the Edinburgh side dictated the game and took a deserved lead after 20 minutes. Ewing battled for the ball just outside the box before teeing up Reid who fired home a first-time piledriver.

After the interval Albion came into the cup tie more but Spartans still kept coming out on top in battles across the park.

Building on that, they found a crucial second of the afternoon to seal an incredible victory when Reid rose highest in the box to nod his side into the last-16.

• Craigroyston BC 13s advanced to the final of the AC Taxis Cup with a hard earned 4-2 victory over Blackhall Athletic at Craigie Park.

The hosts started the semi-final on the front foot and they never looked back. After creating a handful of opportunities early on the pressure finally told. Owen Hanratty got the better of his marker down the right before crossing to Brad Gilchrist who found the top corner.

The home side then doubled their lead, with Hanratty rounding a neat move off with a close range finish.

Craigie were full of confidence and Lewis Hunter made things even better with a well-taken effort just before the break.

Blackhall were given a lifeline when the referee awarded a penalty for handball which Alex Burns gratefully stuck away.

Visitors Blackhall quickly found another as they threatened a comeback thanks to Joe Wood’s strike.

However, it wasn’t to be for Wood and his team-mates as Craigie found a fourth to secure victory, with Hanratty finding the net once again. Craigie face St Bernards BC Mid Blues in the final.

• A Russell Cairns hat-trick helped Tynecastle 16s sink Motherwell FCCT Claret 4-1 in the fourth round of the Scottish Cup at St Andrews High School.

The home side went ahead when Louis Hendrie toe poked into the net from ten yards.

Tynie kept focused on their game though and they soon had an equaliser to celebrate courtesy of Dan Purves.

The visitors continued to flourish and it wasn’t long before they were out in front, with Cairns stroking home.

Tynie secured a deserved third on 60 minutes, with Cairns netting again. He rounded off a fine individual and team effort as he completed his treble late on.