Rose cut down by Mayfield

Have your say

A MASSIVE shock was caused by Mayfield & Easthouses when they beat East of Scotland champions Edinburgh Rose 2-1 in the semi-final of the Logan Cup at Saughton Enclosure.

The Lothian East league champions took the game to their Premier Division 1 opponents in a match where both sides were reduced to ten men. Darren Mitchell should have put Mayfield in front after ten minutes when through on goal, but the No. 11 displayed a hesitancy which allowed the ball to eventually be cleared by the Rose defence.

However, Liam Hall made no mistake three minutes later when he headed in past Rose goalkeeper David Sorley after team-mate Douglas Morrison’s blistering effort had come crashing off the underside of the crossbar.

Rose were struggling to assert the kind of form that had seen them crowned East of Scotland winners just three weeks ago; the Mayfield rearguard looking more than comfortable with anything thrown in their direction. However, Craig Stewart’s curling effort that went just wide of the left post sparked some life into the players in blue.

Rose were eventually back on level terms 15 minutes into the second half when confusion between Mayfield’s central defensive pairing, and goalkeeper Barry Lindley, handed Jon Laidlaw with the opportunity to knock the loose ball into the empty net.

However, Mayfield responded only six minutes later and restored their advantage when Martin Hughes weaved himself along the Rose byline and placed his shot beyond Sorley much to the dismay of the Rose defence who were claiming the ball had went out of play.

Euan Bisset was subsequently booked for his protests before seeing a second yellow just minutes later to reduce Rose to ten. Mayfield match-winner Hughes was then shown his second yellow for a strong 
challenge on Sorley towards the end, but Mayfield held firm to book their place in Saturday’s final against East Linton.

Mayfield assistant coach Robert Hogg said: “Rose put us under some pressure as we expected but the players were resilient. East Linton have had a good season so it should be an excellent game and one we’re looking forward to.”

Loanhead’s Centenary

Loanhead MW lifted the Centenary Cup after a 2-1 defeat of East Linton at Paties Road in a match that was held up for 20 minutes due to a 
serious injury sustained by Loanhead’s Kris Shillots.

The unfortunate player suffered a double fracture to his right leg after a challenge with an opponent just ten minutes in to Friday night’s final, but his team-mates responded in the right manner to seal the win and the club’s first piece of silverware this season.

Loanhead’s Alex Coutts said: “In the end we did it for Kris but we needed a victory for ourselves. The season could have gone better league-wise but we’re safe, we’ve won a cup, so we’re happy overall.”

After the horrific injury to Shillots, Loanhead edged in front right on the stroke of 
half-time when John Thompson’s angled header found the far corner after a terrific cross.

The Midlothian-based side doubled their advantage after 65 minutes when Craig Robertson got on the end of a cut-back from the right to neatly tuck 
the ball into the back of the net.

East Linton pulled a goal back late on after a mix up in the Loanhead defence left Julian Anderson with the simplest of tasks in knocking the ball in from close range, but it proved too late to mount any sort of comeback.

East Linton, however, have Saturday’s Logan Cup final to look forward to against Lothian East champions Mayfield & Easthouses, the association’s most prestigious accolade.

Manager Gordon Rollo 
said: “We didn’t play well and Loanhead deserved to win but hopefully we’ll be ready for Saturday as it’s a massive game for us.

“Mayfield are a really good team as they’ve had 
back-to-back promotions so it will be a tough match.”