Salvesen aim for last 16 in the Scottish Cup

Salvesen Amateurs
Salvesen Amateurs
Have your say

Salvesen coach Ryan Harding set his sights on a last-16 place in the Scottish Cup after his side claimed a narrow 1-0 victory at home to Glasgow side Haghill in the third round.

“We’ve always said that if we can get to the last 16 of the cup we’d be happy. Because let’s be honest, the west coast does always tend to dominate in the Scottish Cup. We’ll have to see what happens though.

“We battled hard, but we’ve missed around four or five one-on-ones. When you play against teams like this you have to take those chances,” said the 30-year-old.

“It’ll be tougher in the next round so we have to make sure we take our opportunities. If not, then we’ll get punished for it.”

The hosts went ahead in the 21st minute after Jamie Butler picked up David Ross’ pass in the area before rounding the goalie and smashing the ball in.

Salvesen weren’t able to build on the lead though and spurned a handful of good opportunities. Butler had a fantastic opportunity in the area when a loose ball fell his way, but he rushed the chance and smashed it over from seven yards out.

Late on, Steven Cairncross made a fantastic save to deny Haghill’s William Stewart bending in a free-kick from the edge of the box.

The Edinburgh side then dug deep in the dying minutes to progress to the next round.

Seaforth sail to victory

Seaforth Highlanders progressed to the second round of the Anderson Cup after beating Tranent Amateurs 4-0 at Roseburn.

The hosts began brightly, looking to take the game to Tranent, and it wasn’t long before the deadlock was broken. Stewart Hogg whipped a corner into the area and the ball wasn’t cleared by the visitors. Eoin Anderson reacted quickest to stab in the loose ball.

Not content with a one-goal advantage, Seaforth maintained their attacking stance and continued to go forward. Their stubbornness soon paid off. After they had a man pushed over in the area the referee didn’t hesitate in awarding a penalty, and it was put away with ease by Anderson for his second of the game.

Before half-time, the home side were 3-0 up. Another corner into the area was poorly dealt with by Tranent and the loose ball was promptly fired in by Cameron Hook from close-range. It was enough to put a halt to any Tranent resurgence, with the home side firmly in the driving seat at the half-way mark.

Continuing to dominate the game into the second-half, Seaforth kept pressing and managed a fourth of the afternoon with ten minutes to go. Hogg played a lovely through ball to Hook and he finished with precision just inside the box.

Miners dig in to earn win

Danderhall Miners ran out 3-1 winners in an entertaining Premier Division 2 encounter against Dunalba FC.

After a lively start, the hosts began to control the game and went ahead in the 18th minute through Rory Mair. After good work in midfield the ball was played into Chris Wright on the edge of the area. He left it to Darren Anderson who rounded the ‘keeper and set up Mair for a simple tap in six yards out.

Ten minutes into the second-half, Danderhall doubled their lead. Gary Shearer played a nice one-two with James Laing before curling a shot high into the goal from 20 yards.

Dunalba, who had been quiet in the game, set up a tense finish at the end with a goal on the 80-minute mark. A long throw into the area found Fergus Wilson, who sent a looping header over the goalie and into the back of the net.

With time running out the visitors took a gamble and pushed men forward in search of an equaliser. Danderhall took advantage, however, robbing the ball and going on the counter-attack. Laing crossed the ball in from the wing and Grant McMillan headed in from eight yards.