Scottish Cup deja vu for Linlithgow Rose

Deveronvale celebrate their second goal. Picture: Joey Kelly
Deveronvale celebrate their second goal. Picture: Joey Kelly
Have your say

LINLITHGOW ROSE crashed 3-1 out of the William Hill Scottish Cup in this replay with Banffshire side Deveronvale after again failing to take advantage of an early lead.

Like last week, Linlithgow enjoyed a dream start, taking the lead after only five minutes. Tommy Coyne head-flicked a great ball in to Steve Meechan driving into the visitors’ box. He was being crowded out, but still stroked the ball out to Calum Smith, who blasted into the net for another spectacular strike.

Deveronvale then adopted a much more aggressive tactic to try and turn this tie around. Tackles came flying in from all directions without a response from the referee. Incredibly, it was Linlithgow players who were being booked for complaining about the tackles and things became heated for long spells. Deveronvale equalised just before the half-hour mark when Craig Cowie, who looked offside, blasted the ball past the keeper from six yards.

Linlithgow boss Mark Bradley made changes in the second half, taking off the goalscorer and replacing him with Adam Nelson in an attempt to stiffen up the midfield. Linlithgow then pummelled the visiting defence without success. Steve Meechan and Roddy MacLennan missed good opportunities to give them the lead. And as so often happens the side under pressure scored a goal. From a corner on the left Scott Fraser, last week’s hero, lost his marker and rose to power a header into the net in the 75th minute.

Worse was to follow for Linlithgow. Sub Gordon Herd, only on the pitch for five minutes, was sent off by a referee way out of his depth for accidentally running into a player resulting in a penalty. Herd was running away from his goal area when Deveronvale’s Graeme Rodger ran into him. Rodger went down as if shot by a sniper and rolled into the box. Amazingly the referee called over Herd and sent him off with a straight red card then pointed to the spot. It was a decision that beggared belief. Martin Charlesworth scored form the spot to give the visitors a lead they held to the final whistle.

So Linlithgow’s adventure is over for another season.

Assistant coach Marvyn Wilson said: “Their game plan was physical and they coped with it better than we did. We had a chance to go that step further, but couldn’t take it.”

Linlithgow: Christie, Gibson, McKillen (Dunn), McKenzie, Tyrrell, Shirra, Ro MacLennan (Herd), Meechan, Strickland, Coyne, Smith (Nelson). Subs: Ru Mac-Lennan, Fleming, Hamilton.

Deveronvale: McConnachie, Rennie, Adams, Henry, Fraser, Urquhart, Cowie, Rodger, M Charlesworth (Hutchison), Wardrop (C Charlesworth), G Watt (Lombardi). Subs: Simpson, Hutchison, P Watt, Aitken, Fyfe.