Seniors: Heriot-Watt boss lifted by first win

Lothian's Ross Elliott, left, battles with Heriot Watt's Scott Dargo. Pic: JULIE BULL
Lothian's Ross Elliott, left, battles with Heriot Watt's Scott Dargo. Pic: JULIE BULL
Have your say

Heriot-Watt University boss Chris Smith believes his side can turn their season around after they recovered from a 2-1 half-time deficit to win 3-2 at Riccarton and claim their first points of the East of Scotland Premier Division campaign.

Boss Smith, who missed the win over previously-unbeaten Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale due to work commitments, will return to the Watt dugout in positive frame of mind for this weekend’s home clash with Civil Service Strollers.

He insists that, despite his team remaining bottom of the league, Watt could realistically turn the table on its head in time.

“While it’s far too early to tell who will finish where at the moment, it’s not too late for anything to happen,” said Smith. “Anyone can beat anyone on any given day. We have asked the players to set targets they feel are realistic, but you certainly can’t write off anything at this time.”

Jamie Forsyth put Heriot-Watt 1-0 up, only for the hosts to concede twice before half-time. However, a penalty by Euan Henderson restored parity before Forbes’ winner.

Tynecastle dropped two places to fourth after a heavy defeat by league leaders Stirling University. Tynie leaked goals by Steven Forbes, Owen Donoghue, Elliot Sutcliffe, Ryan McCue and Joe Parish as Stirling ran out 5-0 winners.

George Nikolaidis hit a hat-trick for Edinburgh University in their 3-0 win at home to Civil Service Strollers. Boss Dorian Ogunro, whose Uni side move to second with the win, was delighted with the three points. He said: “Despite a few players being unavailable, it was a very good performance from a team with many young players new to the league.”

Steven Moncur scored twice as Craigroyston overcame Spartans at St Mark’s Park. Ewan MacIntosh also struck for Craigie, while Haydn Crane pulled a goal back for Spartans.

Craigroyston manager Ross McNeil said: “We played a lot better than last week. We are starting to get all our players back and the injury list is getting better.”

At Meadowbank 3G, a deflected Kenny Hall free kick, which bounced off the back of his team-mate Chris Wright and past Coldstream goalkeeper Mark Walters, gave Leith Athletic an early lead. However, Sean Simpson scored twice in 15 minutes before half-time to swing the balance in favour of Streamers. A superb individual effort by Johnny Simpson on 76 minutes sealed a 3-1 victory for the visitors.

Derek Riddell, the Leith boss, mourned a change in attitude by his side after Wright’s opener. He said: “Yet again, we’ve taken an early lead in a game and for some reason, we’ve stopped playing once we scored. We need to keep going at teams when we take the lead, rather than being prepared to sit on what we’ve got.

“If we don’t learn from this soon, we’re really going to be punished.”