Simon says eight’s great for Hutchie

Hutchison Vale 16s
Hutchison Vale 16s
Have your say

Hutchison Vale 16s coach Simon Murphy was optimistic about his side’s chances of Scottish Cup glory after their emphatic 8-0 defeat of Fife side Kelty Marian Colts in the third round.

“If we can play as well as that we stand a good chance of progressing in the competition,” said the 35-year-old. “With the players we’ve got we’re more than capable of giving anyone a game. I’m happy with the way team played, especially given the conditions.”

In strong winds at Peffermill, the hosts managed three first-half goals. Robbie Polson put Hutchie ahead on the half-hour before Cameron Stewart and Jamie Watson put them in the driving seat.

The home side continued to dominate after the break and scored two more in the space of ten minutes. Kyle Hunter tapped in from close range to make it 4-0 then Callum Fitzpatrick held off the defender’s challenge to smash in a fifth from just inside the box.

Not content with the scoreline, Hutchie bagged three more including a fantastic goal from substitute Jamie Mackay, who rifled in an effort from 25 yards. Mackay grabbed another before Owen Richardson completed the scoring.

Five-star Loanhead

Loanhead MYFC 19s were comprehensive 5-0 winners in their Scottish Cup third-round tie away to Airdrie United 19s.

Despite the high winds which swept across the Caldervale High School pitch, the visitors soon got into their stride and took an early lead through Darren McCraw. A precise through ball was played downfield and McCraw raced onto it before smashing a shot past the keeper. The striker was hungry for more and soon had his and Loanhead’s second of the afternoon. After robbing the Airdrie centre-half, he bore down on goal and fired home from the edge of the area.

Into the second half, and the visitors continued to press in a bid to put the result beyond doubt. Patrick McKlevey did well down the right-hand side before squaring it to Liam Matthew, who had the simple task of tapping in from six yards.

Good work from Sam Jones in the middle helped set up McCraw for his hat-trick before Loanhead grabbed a fifth with ten minutes to go. Ryan Weston switched the ball from left to right and Connor Lawrie beat the offside trap and scored past the onrushing goalkeeper.

Tynie tan Blue Brazil

Tynecastle 16s progressed to the fourth round of the Scottish Cup after coming through a tricky away tie to beat Fife side Blue Brazil 3-1.

The Edinburgh side made early inroads and went 2-0 up with 25 minutes on the clock.

First, Cameron Dawson latched onto Cameron Lidell’s free-kick to lift the ball over Matt Douglas in the home goal.

Then, five minutes later, Dawson grabbed another for Tynie. As the hosts tried to play the ball out from the back, the No.9 won possession before firing into the top corner.

Before half-time, Cameron McAleavey pulled one back for the home side to give them hope. The forward latched onto a through ball to fire under Tynie goalie Fraser Briton.

Tynecastle grabbed a third after half-time to give them a commanding lead. A free-kick into the area wasn’t cleared by the home defence before Sean Brown took matters into his own hands to score from close range.