Six-shooting Salvesen into IME Cup Final

Salvesen Amateurs
Salvesen Amateurs
Have your say

Salvesen will joust with The Spartans in the IME Cup final after brushing aside Rosewell Miners with a thumping 6-0 victory.

The Lothian and Edinburgh Amateur side, currently with a 100 per cent record in the third level of the Sunday set-up, will be favourites to lift the trophy following this performance at Forrester’s High School 3G last Sunday.

Spartans defeated Alnwickhill 2-0 in the other semi-final clash to set up an enticing prospect for the final, but will have to play well to defeat Salvesen if they play anything like they did in this 6-0 thrashing.

Rosewell are the closest to Salvesen in Division 1 currently, but they proved no match for a classy display from Salvesen, who were 3-0 up at half-time.

Surprisingly, given the scoreline, the first ten minutes were a fairly even affair – both sides were attempting to settle the play down and get some rhythm to their forays forward.

The home side took the lead after 18 minutes. A corner kick was floated in from the right and full-back Greig Hogarth rose the highest to head the ball in from the middle of the penalty area.

Rosewell felt it was a poor goal to concede and they were left seeing double two minutes later. After an exchange of passes on the left wing, the ball was chipped into the mix and Ross Gunn was quickest to it as he raced into to head past Rosewell keeper Callum Crawford.

The visitors were losing a grip on the tie and, after 32 minutes, their chances of reaching the final looked even more doomed as Salvesen raced into a three-goal lead. They attacked the opposition goal and when Rosewell failed to clear their lines, the ball landed at Jack Townsley. The talented midfielder whacked the ball first time and his shot flew past Crawford’s right-hand side.

Shortly after the break, Salvesen continued to dominate and landed a fourth blow to Rosewell. The attacking right-back Hogarth was impressive all game and helped assist the goal. He bombed down the right and crossed a low ball into the box for the waiting Murdo Manson, who converted first time with his right foot a few yards inside the danger area to make it 4-0.

Salvesen were very comfortable in possession from back to front and this was perfectly demonstrated in their fifth goal from Gunn, who notched his second of the afternoon. The build-up started from Hogarth, who played the ball to the midfield and, after a few one-twos and a flick, Shaun Young advanced towards the box. He saw the open space in which Gunn had found himself in, played him in and Gunn finished off the sublime move with a thumping strike.

Rosewell’s first and only real opportunity to get a goal came midway through the second half. Substitute Michael Telfer, who had just come on the field, was free in space to the right of the box and he received a good pass. Telfer took a touch before shooting at goal, forcing Callum Eadie into a finger-tip save onto the crossbar. It was unlucky for Rosewell but immaterial to the overall result.

The last action of the tie proved to be the final goal of the tie, as Salvesen rubbed salt in the wounds of Rosewell with a sixth. Another brilliant passing exchange involving Young and Challum Manson in the centre of midfield saw a shot being fired at goal. The ball was parried to his right by Rosewell keeper Crawford and Steven Cairncross made no mistake as he rifled in the rebound high into the goal net.

Salvesen: Callum Eadie, Steven Cairncross, Murdo Manson, Dean Clark, Matthew Duncan, Ryan Cairncross, Darren O’Brien, Jack Townsley, Marc Walsh, Challum Manson, Ross Gunn, Martin Duff, Dean Cunnigham, Shaun Young, Greig Hogarth,

Rosewell Miners: Callum Crawford, Kevin Goodall, Dave Davidson, Jai Whyte, William Winter, Finlay Toulouse, Gavin Turnbull, Keiran Park, Cameron Brown, Brian Massey, Bryan Wilson, Lee Elliot, Michael Telfer, Lee Turnbull, Ryan Robertson.