South Gyle clinically dispatch North Merchiston Vale

South Gyle AFC punished their opponents for a lapse of concentration
South Gyle AFC punished their opponents for a lapse of concentration
Have your say

South Gyle AFC ran out comfortable 3-0 winners against fellow Division 2 newcomers North Merchiston Vale.

The opening goal nearly came 60 seconds in. A corner curled in by Stewart Crozier evaded everyone in the box before narrowly sneaking past the far post to the relief of Merchiston goalkeeper Manuel Delso.

More attacking intent followed from the visitors, and after hitting the post midway through the first half, South Gyle went 1-0 up thanks to Johnnie Niven. A ball was played through the middle to the No.10, who shrugged off a defender and slotted home with ease.

After the break Merchiston looked promising going forward but they weren’t able to get a break in the final third. Then, in a lapse of concentration, they lost possession in their own half and gifted the ball to James Spence who beat the keeper one-on-one to give South Gyle a two-goal cushion.

With 20 minutes to play the home side had a great chance to pull one back but Ewan Scott steered his shot from the edge of the box wide.

Scott Riddell then delicately headed in before the end to wrap up a convincing 3-0 victory.

Shotts fire in once more

Shotts Victoria continued their unbeaten start to the season with a resounding 9-0 victory against Polbeth United.

Having won 7-0 recently, the visitors wasted no time going forward and took the lead in the fourth minute with Ritchie Barr getting on the end of a cross to hammer home.

Ten minutes later Barr made it 2-0 when he picked up the ball and struck a venomous shot from range into the top corner.

The goals continued to come and soon Shotts grabbed another; David Paris giving, then getting, the ball in a quick one-two before sliding in for a 3-0 lead. Before half time Jamie Callan converted a penalty to make it four. Then, after the break, he put his side even further ahead with a well worked fifth. Kristopher Russel provided a run down the left before crossing in to Callan who couldn’t miss from close range.

Shortly after the two combined again to make it six with Callan putting in Russel who finished the move off.

Before the end Mickie Hardie grabbed two goals for himself with some clinical finishing, and Barr grabbed his third and Shotts’ ninth to round off what was a ruthless performance by the Lothian West league leaders.

East win-ton

East Linton grabbed their second win of the season after they beat Cramond FC 2-0 at Haddington 3G.

In the early stages of the game the home side were on top, and by the 20th minute they found a breakthrough. Julian Anderson provided some width down the left wing as he sprinted forward before providing a low cross which Mattie McLaughlin side-footed in from inside the area.

The remainder of the first half continued in similar fashion with East Linton having the majority of the opportunities. Kevin McKillop twice got in some good positions to score but he could only put the ball wide of the target.

Just before half-time Cramond had a great chance to level things up but they could only hit the woodwork from well-worked corner.

It was a costly miss, but one which helped to focus East Linton who came out in the second 45 with a steely determination.

Callum Hill had a pop at goal from range and thanks to a bit of luck the ball was taken past the goalkeeper by a deflection from one of the Cramond centre-halves.