Stalemate for Currie Star 14s and Edinburgh City

Currie Star Colts 14s
Currie Star Colts 14s
Have your say

Luis Wood grabbed a first-half equaliser to help Currie Star Colts 14s to a 1-1 draw in Division 3 against Edinburgh City 14s at Saughton.

In what was a game of few chances, the No.8 made sure to thump the ball in from five yards to cancel out Alexander Thomson’s opening goal.

Coach Gary McDonald was pleased with the goal and his side’s performance on the day.

“Lewis has done well for us this season and the goal certainly gave us a lift. Although I think we’re still a bit rusty from the Christmas break, I’m happy with how we played. I think it was a fair result in the end.

“I think both sides were more concerned about conceding than scoring,” he said.

On a bitterly cold Sunday morning at Saughton the hosts Currie got the game underway and had a great opportunity to go head with barely two minutes on the clock. Edinburgh conceded possession at the back and Wood latched onto the loose ball. He looked to round Craig Liddle in the Edinburgh goal but his touch was just too heavy to create a goalscoring opportunity.

Three minutes later the tide had turned and Edinburgh managed to take the lead with their first shot on target. A lofted ball was played into Thomson and he managed to control it with two touches then spin to volley an exquisite lob over Currie goalie Andrew Treschman who could do nothing to prevent it.

Wood was the spearhead of the Currie attack and he again came close to getting his side off the mark 14 minutes into the encounter. After receiving the ball 25 yards out he drove forward and drilled a shot from the edge of the box towards goal. It looked to be heading in but just sneaked wide of the far post.

Thomson could have had a second for the visitors ten minutes later when he latched onto Jack Morrison’s through pass in behind the Currie defence. One-on-one with the keeper though he couldn’t find the net and the ball sailed marginally wide.

With barely a minute to go before half-time the hosts grabbed a crucial equaliser to go in at the break on level terms. Oliver Couts chased a seemingly lost cause down the right hand side and he beat his man to the byeline before delivering a pinpoint pass to the back post where Wood was waiting to smash the ball in.

Currie came out after the break with the momentum in their favour as they looked to go on to win the game and they almost grabbed a second two minutes into the half. Cameron Littlejohn was played in down the right-hand side and he cut in to strike an effort at goal but it was well matched by Liddle who stood firm to catch it.

With 20 minutes remaining in the second period both Currie and Edinburgh looked keen to go and win the game, both having opportunities falling their way. On the 55th minute Couts came inches away from making it 2-1 to Currie. After receiving the ball on the edge of the area he spun and shot towards goal but the ball finished just wide of the mark.

The visitors continued to maintain their attacking stance as well and came mighty close to nicking a victory. Thomson whipped in a well hit free-kick from the right to pick out Callum Jardine but Treschman anticipated it to pluck the headed ball out of the air.

With neither side able to grab a winner it finished all square and both Currie and Edinburgh went away with a point a piece.

Currie Star Colts 14s: Andrew Treschman, Blair McDonald, Stuart Mckenzie, Joshua Nicholls, Teo Cengiz, Cameron Lawrie, Luis Wood, Rory O’Brien, Fraser Sayers, Finlay Stewart, Oliver Couts, Iyad Al-Qasem, Cameron Littlejohn, Calum Shand, Jamie Slawson, Dylan Smith.

Edinburgh City 14s: Craig Liddle, Callum Scott, Nathan Graham-Donn, Lucas Denholm, Jaden Steele, Oliver Niven, Leon Hepburn, Alexander Campbell, Callum Jardine, Jack Morrison, Brandon McCutcheon, Alexander Thomson, Anthony White.