Stewart’s rocket helps Loanhead sink Clydebank in Scottish Cup

Share this article
Have your say

Loanhead MW progressed into the fifth round of the Scottish (Saturday) Amateur Cup following a 4-2 victory over Clydebank at Forrester High School.

The Midlothian side are set to host Whitefield Rovers, Burrelton Rovers or Lochan AFC in the next round.

Daniel Stewart scored two of the Loanhead goals, including a spectacular long-range effort in the seventh minute. He received the ball 30 yards from goal and dribbled to the edge of the penalty area before powering the ball into the left side of the goal.

Clydebank had a chance to equalise 11 minutes later as Robert Sheehan headed the ball against the crossbar from a corner.

A defensive error allowed Loanhead to double their lead after 29 minutes. Darren Gregory attempted to head the ball back to Clydebank goalkeeper Daniel Sutherland but Loanhead’s Chris Graham followed it up and headed the ball into the net.

Loanhead should have grabbed another goal three minutes later. Kenneth McMillan’s shot from six yards was cleared off the line before Richard Campbell shot over the bar from the rebound.

But they put the game beyond doubt after 37 minutes. Sutherland fumbled a cross from Ross Montgomery and Stewart added his second goal with a simple finish into an open goal.

A fourth goal looked on the cards in the 44th minute. Craig Robertson passed the ball to Graham whose shot was parried by Sutherland, and Robertson’s follow up effort was cleared off the line by Clydebank defender Stuart Cowan.

Clydebank pulled a goal back against the run of play. On the verge of half-time, Martin Currie’s through ball found James Gallagher who placed the ball past Loanhead goalkeeper Christopher Barclay.

In the second half Clydebank’s performance improved, and they scored a second goal after 50 minutes. Currie’s lobbed shot from 30 yards sailed past Barclay and nestled into the middle of the net. Currie nearly scored another long-range lob just a minute later. This time, Barclay was able to divert the ball wide.

Stewart almost completed his hat trick after 74 minutes, but saw his free-kick flight a yard past the right post from 25 yards.

Three minutes later, Clydebank’s Scott Robertson headed left of the goal after Gregory’s cross and Currie had another shot saved by Barclay after 84 minutes.

Craig Darroch was unlucky not to grab a late equaliser for Clydebank with three minutes remaining. His shot hit the crossbar after he had cut into the penalty area from the right by-line.

Loanhead’s fourth goal was scored in stoppage time. Craig Robertson’s first effort was blocked but he placed the ball into the left corner of the goal with his second attempt.

Stevie Thomson, the Loanhead coach, believes that the team has the quality to go all the way in the Scottish Amateur Cup. He said: “It would be fair to say we are a far superior team to Clydebank. They worked very hard and they did not make it easy for us.

“I thought when we scored our first couple of goals we were going to go on and win the game quite easily but we made a couple of bad mistakes and let them back into the game. Overall, we were deserved winners but all credit must go to Clydebank. It was not the best performance that Loanhead has ever put up.

“We have another home tie in the next round and will hopefully be playing to the best of our ability.

“We obviously want to stay in the competition for as long as we can and this is the big one that every team wants to win. There are still five more rounds until the final so hopefully we can go all the way.”

Loanhead MW: Christopher Barclay, John Saunders, Blair McDonald, Kris Shillito, Richard Campbell, Ross Montgomery, Chris Graham, Craig Robertson, John Thomson, Daniel Stewart, Kenneth McMillan, Barry Arthur, Darren Hodge, Brian Gilchrist.

Clydebank: Daniel Sutherland, Stuart Cowan, Robert Wylie, Michael Casey, Graham Fanning, Robert Sheehan, Scott Robertson, Derek Spratt, Craig Darroch, James Gallagher, Darren Gregory, Martin Currie, Stuart Jack, Jason Millar.