Supersub notches a late brace to extend Dalkeith’s cup run

Share this article
Have your say

Dalkeith CYP 2000s turned in an impressive display to see off the threat of Celtic Boys’ Club and move into the fourth round of the Scottish Youth Challenge Cup after a 5-2
 victory at Cowden Park.

The home side have enjoyed an undefeated start to the new league campaign and have already knocked out local rivals Dalkeith Miners in the Tom Welsh Cup.

Kieran Jack got things going for Dalkeith after 20 minutes, the youngster showing great pace to outstretch the Celtic defence before firing into the corner of the net.

Jack then grabbed his second five minutes before the break when he coolly rounded the Celtic goalkeeper to make it 2-0.

However, Celtic returned to the field eager to give themselves a fighting chance and they reduced the deficit when the impressive Roan Fitzpatrick finished clinically just after the break.

Dalkeith were then awarded a penalty for a foul in the box and Owen Winnik made no mistake from 12 yards to restore the hosts’ twogoal advantage.

A second penalty was then awarded, this time for the visitors and Fitzpatrick made it 3-2. However, Dalkeith substitute Ryan Brown had only been on the park for a minute before he showed great technical ability in lobbing the ball into the back of the net from 25 yards to add a fourth.

Brown, the “super sub”, then grabbed his second and Dalkeith’s fifth moments from the end when he headed in from close range to round-off a special day for the Midlothian-based club. Dalkeith coach Alan Brown said: “It was a great game to watch and I can’t compliment both sides enough. The game was played in great spirit in difficult conditions so I am over the moon.”

Sun shines on Leith

Leith Athletic 15s cemented their position at the top of SERYFA Division 1 with a comfortable 5-1 victory away to Musselburgh Windsor United at Pinkie St Peters.

Euan McGaghie set Leith on their way in the first half, but Jamie Stewart equalised shortly after for the home side. Stewart then rattled the Leith crossbar before the visitors grabbed the lead once again when Conal Prior found the back of the net with a composed finish.

Marco McBride then made it 3-1 after the break before Jay McManus scored the goal of the game with a fine solo effort, running 60 yards before showing great composure in tucking the ball into the corner.

McGaghie added a fifth with a clever back heel to complete the rout. Leith coach Colin Scott was thrilled with the application shown from his players.

He said: “It was very pleasing and the boys deserved the victory. We are working incredibly hard at the moment and this is paying off in our matches.”

Musselburgh’s Robert Orr felt his players performed well but offered a strong appraisal for his side’s opponents.

Orr said: “It may have been different had we taken a 2-1 lead but Leith are a strong side. They just have that bit more about them and I think that got them over the line.”

Salvesen into last eight

Salvesen CFC 16s are into 
the quarter-finals of the 
inaugural Colin Greenhill 
Memorial Trophy after delivering a 3-0 victory over Edinburgh South Reds at Double Hedges Road.

Adam Robertson struck 
as early as the first minute when he finished superbly
into the top corner after a 
ball came through the 
middle of the home 

Lewis Ross made it 2-0 in the second half when he picked up a ball that had bounced over the Edinburgh defence and 
finished the move off with 

Salvesen’s Ewen Gillie then had a headed goal disallowed with the referee adjudging 
that the ball had gone out of play before the player headed in Ross’ 

However, Gillie made no 
mistake when a second 
opportunity came his way as he 
added a third in what was a comfortable victory for the 

Salvesen coach Jason Hastie said: “I thought we played 
really well considering the 
conditions with both heavy 
rain and the wind causing 

“But the boys work really hard and they are a great bunch to work with.”