Tollcross Thistle earn replay after digging deep

Tollcross Thistle
Tollcross Thistle
Have your say

Gary White salvaged a replay for Tollcross Thistle in the fifth round of the Scottish Cup when he levelled to make it 3-3 late on against Dunblane Thistle at Saughton.

The Edinburgh side twice went ahead in the game before Dunblane took the lead with ten minutes to go.

White was the hero on the day, though, as he scored with two minutes remaining. Tollcross coach Alan McKay had mixed emotions after what was an eventful cup tie.

“I’d say we were cruising the game at 2-1 up and looked good value for our lead.

“I think we were almost too comfortable and Dunblane got back into it with two well-worked goals.

“It’s a bit of relief at the end there, but, really, I’m disappointed that we’ve chucked away a great chance to progress today. In the Scottish Cup when you have a home draw you have to make it count,” said the 29-year-old.

Michael Yuill gave Tollcross a deserved lead 40 minutes in when he leathered in an indirect free-kick given five yards from the goalline after the keeper had picked up a pass back.

The visitors scored minutes later, however, through captain Peter Marshall to make it 1-1 at the break.

Into the second half, Yuill grabbed another to restore the hosts lead and they looked good value to progress.

Out of nowhere, though, Dunblane scored two goals in two minutes to turn the tie on its head. White had other ideas, however, as he nodded in sub titute Martin McCann’s cross to take the tie to a replay in dramatic fashion.

Win keeps up high Standard

Standard LIFE moved to within a point of Edinburgh Central league leaders Craigroyston after coming from behind to beat Edinburgh Harps 3-1 at Spartans Academy.

The visitors got off to a flyer when in the eighth minute Eduardo Guervara got on the end of a low ball into the box to fire in six yards out. Keen to stay in touch with the league leaders, the hosts rallied and fought back into the game as they looked to get on the scoresheet. By the 30th minute they had put themselves on level terms. After twisting and turning in the box, Iain Ring-Macleod was fouled and the referee didn’t hesitate to award a penalty. Ring-Macleod dusted himself off to find the back of the net with aplomb.

Substitute Roy Connelly made sure of the points for Standard Life with two quick-thinking finishes in the final 30 minutes.

After he seized upon a loose kick from the Harps goalie to score, he poached in from five yards to cement the result.

Craigy avenge earlier defeat

Craigroyston CYFC avenged their only league defeat this season by beating Heriot-Watt A 3-1 in the second round of the Anderson Cup at Craigie Park. After losing the reverse fixture 4-3 earlier in the season, the hosts didn’t waste any time putting things right when they went ahead 15 minutes in.

Grant Stuart peeled off his marker 20 yards out before pinging a well-struck effort at goal which found its way into the bottom corner. Fifteen minutes later, sub Jordan Currie, who replaced the injured Stuart, doubled Craigroyston’s advantage with another superb long-ranger to make it 2-0.

After the break, the home side moved further in front when Douglas Macgregor tapped in from close range. The visitors finally did have something to cheer, however, when they pulled back a late consolation. After winning a penalty, Jake Lloyd opted to take responsibility. Despite a good initial save from Craigroyston goalie Arthur Heath, Lloyd netted the rebound.