Tollcross Thistle goal blitz against Spartans

Tollcross Thistle took full advantage when Spartans switched off in the final ten minutes to turn an even contest into a one-sided rout.
Tollcross Thistle took full advantage when Spartans switched off in the final ten minutes to turn an even contest into a one-sided rout.
Share this article
Have your say

Tollcross Thistle continued their unbeaten early season form with a 5-1 victory over The Spartans in a hotly-contested fixture at Saughton.

Chances were few and far between in the first half with neither team committing men into the final third of the field. It looked to be heading to a stalemate.

After the break it was a different game altogether with both sides looking refreshed and going for glory. Tollcross finally went ahead in the 60th minute when Michael Yuill scored a brilliantly placed shot past the Spartans goalie.

Spartans fought back though and levelled the game not long after thanks to Greg Atkinson, who sidestepped a challenge before firing into the bottom right corner.

Until the 80-minute mark it was an even enough game but a lapse in concentration from the Spartans rearguard handed Tollcross four goals in the last ten minutes.

Jason Bell got up well from a corner to restore Tollcross’ advantage before Martin McCann reacted first to poach in from close range a minute later.

In the final five minutes, Tollcross showed their ruthlessness in front of goal by scoring two more through Yuill and McCann, who both bagged a brace on the day.

Pencaitland bounce back

Pencaitland FC put their disappointing league start behind them and ran out emphatic 4-0 winners against Seaforth Highlanders in the Scottish Amateur Cup first round.

The home side started the brightest in the opening stages at Park View and showed their attacking intent when Scott Allen hit the bar following some good build-up play.

Ten minutes into the game the deadlock was broken. Allen was put through on goal and finished the move off by slotting home past the Seaforth goalkeeper.

Shortly after the opener, Mark McCormack doubled their lead. Blair Anderson created the goal after he brought the ball forward and into the box and shot. It was palmed away but only to the alert McCormack, who was quick to bury the opportunity.

Before half-time, Allen grabbed his second of the afternoon. Having beaten one defender he cut in from the right with some pace and smashed home from a tight angle.

The fourth and final goal was scored thanks to Ramsay Zenati, who provided a typical centre-half finish from close range after Seaforth were unable to clear the danger from a corner.

United ease past Dunbar

Links United were comfortable 5-0 winners in their East Division clash with Dunbar Athletic at Broughton High School.

Stuart Chambers opened the scoring for the home side in the 22nd minute courtesy of Jon Manson on the wing. Getting in behind the Dunbar right back, Manson teed-up Chambers, who fired in from close range.

Links continued to dominate the first half and doubled their lead shortly after through Bob Bennett. James Air’s shot was parried and Bennett was unmarked at the back post to put the ball in.

Bennett got in on the act again to score his second just before the break. On the counter, Gary Stewart brought the ball forward before finding Bennett with a neatly-weighted pass. Bennett took aim and fired in Links’ third.

Not content with a three-goal cushion, United kept going forward and were rewarded with a fourth goal. Chambers delivered a corner which found Sam Chetwynd’s header. It was met by a good save, but Manson was waiting to follow up and poach in.

Before the end Bennett grabbed his hat-trick to complete a resounding performance from Links when he received Air’s pass in the area to score.