Tranent Athletic beat Gotham City to reach final

Tranent Athletic moved into the final of the Sunday Morning League Cup with a 2-0 win over Gotham City. Pic: Chris Martin
Tranent Athletic moved into the final of the Sunday Morning League Cup with a 2-0 win over Gotham City. Pic: Chris Martin
Have your say

Tranent Athletic marched into the final of the Sunday Morning League Cup with a 2-0 win away to Gotham City at the Gyle.

The East Lothian side looked to impose themselves early on and they could easily have gone ahead in the opening stages. After Steven Love’s effort from the edge of the box narrowly flew over, John Brash then opted to shoot in a two-v-one situation, only to be denied by Mark Cairney in the City goal.

Tranent, however, broke the deadlock on the half-hour mark when Alexander Varndell headed in George Armstrong’s corner.

Gotham tried to get back on level terms before half-time, but Stuart Ferrier in the Athletic goal wasn’t troubled.

After the interval Gotham came inches away from finding an equaliser when Al Houston broke free of his marker from a corner, only to be denied by the post.

As the game edged towards 90 minutes, Tranent took control of affairs and they should have wrapped the win up, but both Armstrong and Brash were denied by the woodwork.

Then, with five minutes remaining, they eventually secured their place in the final when Scott Bathgate squared it to striker Brash to tuck the ball in from seven yards.

• Tynecastle FC climbed to the top of Premier Division 2 with a convincing 5-0 win away to Inverleith FC at Seafield Park.

After holding their own for the opening 40 minutes, there was little Inverleith could do to prevent Tynie’s opening goal as Mark Brown’s free-kick from 25 yards flew straight into the net.

With the momentum in their favour, Tynecastle came out strongly in the second half, grabbing two more goals to put themselves in the driving seat. First, Gareth Manson broke into the area, riding the challenges of the Inverleith back four, to score. Then, ten minutes later, James Spence took aim from 15 yards with a driven shot, leaving the goalie with no chance.

The league leaders never looked back, adding two more to round off an emphatic team performance. Sub Steven Livingston got in on the act, cutting in from the left to bury an effort into the far corner. Then Spence grabbed his second with an instinctive finish in the area.

• Ratho Athletic came from behind to win 5-3 away to Queensferry Athletic in the quarter-finals of the Dunedin Cup at Queensferry Recreation Centre.

Ratho gifted the home side the lead with an own goal before Queensferry went 2-0 up thanks to a penalty from Norman Dunnet. Then, after Ratho pulled one back through Dean Crane’s penalty, the hosts made it 3-1 when Dunnet’s bicycle kick flew in from six yards.

After the restart, Ratho came out all guns blazing as they looked to turn the game around. Crane struck again early on in the half when he fired in one-on-one to reduce the deficit. Then shortly after they made it 3-3 when Jay Brown spun in the area to score.

The turnaround was complete but Ratho, looking revitalised, weren’t done just there. Paul Morgan set up Ryan Neilson to give his side the lead for the first time, then Crane got his hat-trick and his side’s fifth when he followed up Morgan’s long-range strike to tuck the ball in.

To their credit, the hosts dug deep as they looked to turn the game around, but Ratho held firm at the end to progress to the semi-finals.