Tranent fourth-time lucky as Hutchie fail to convert

Tranent Juniors won the East of Scotland 21s Stuart Brown Memorial Trophy
Tranent Juniors won the East of Scotland 21s Stuart Brown Memorial Trophy
Have your say

Tranent Juniors won the East of Scotland 21s Stuart Brown Memorial Trophy after beating Hutchison Vale 1-0 at Penicuik Juniors Ground.

A first-half penalty, scored by Robbie Mason, was enough to see Tranent finally lift a trophy, the East Lothian team having tasted defeat in three previous cup finals.

Hutchison Vale created chance after chance, but were unable to score against the resilient Tranent defenders.

Tranent nearly handed Hutchie a goal in the fourth minute. A defensive mix-up gave Mark Mitchell the chance to score, but his shot was tipped wide.

Two minutes later, Hutchie’s Andrew Cosgrove shot wide from close range and Hutchie continued the bombardment for much of the first half.

Tranent held on however, winning a penalty in the 30th minute. Cameron Reynolds was tripped by Hutchie goalkeeper Jamie Newman and the assistant flagged for a spot-kick.

Newman got a strong hand to Mason’s penalty but the ball went into the bottom left corner of the net.

Hutchie had two chances to score on the verge of half-time. Ryan Davidson’s acrobatic effort going wide of the left post after a deep free kick.

A minute later, Mark Mitchell missed an empty net following a clever Willis Hare cross.

The Hutchie pressure did not relent in the second half. Martyn Robinson and James Guy both shot over the bar early in the period. Davidson’s attempt to score from long range was struck straight at McMullen in the 55th minute and Connor Kane’s header was saved a minute later.

Tranent created an opportunity to double their lead with their next attack, Reynolds’ shot well saved by Newman.

Hutchie could do everything except score in this encounter. With 11 minutes remaining, Guy swung in a corner from the left, but Mitchell’s header was stopped by McMullen.

With four minutes left Hutchie nearly gifted a second to Tranent after Newman dallied on the ball and David Ross almost stole possession.

Hutchison Vale coach Steve Forrest was frustrated with the team’s lack of composure in front of goal. He said: “We made a lot of chances today but we did not take them.”

Tranent coach Blair Glynn was pleased to have held on for a win. He said: “We are delighted to win a trophy. Hutchison Vale were the better team but we got the penalty and held out after that. We managed to win a trophy at last. That tops the season for us.”

Hutchison Vale: Jamie Newman, Steven Abbott, Paul Kerr, Connor Kane, Andrew Cosgrove, Ryan Davidson, Mark Mitchell, Martyn Robinson, Willis Hare, James Guy, Johnny Downie, Bradley Scott, David Lewis, Zane Nicolson, Darryn Hlabangana, Lewis Page.

Tranent Juniors: Ross McMullen, Steven Glynn, Kenny Hall, Robbie Mason, Craig Wojtowycz, Alexander Christie, Blair Murray, Andrew Horne, Robert Berry, Michael Porteous, David Ross, Ryan Hall, Anton McKillop, Cameron Reynolds, Ruairidh Fleming, Mark Moncrieff.