Tynecastle 13s lose final to Banks O’Dee Albion

Tynecastle 13s
Tynecastle 13s
Have your say

Brave Tynecastle Under-13s were beaten 4-1 by Banks O’Dee Albion in their Trans World Soccer Scottish Youth FA Cup Final at Airdrie’s Excelsior Stadium.

The Aberdeen side imposed themselves on the game in the opening stages and served notice of their intentions early on when Kyle Dalling’s header from a corner went narrowly over the bar.

On five minutes Tynie goalkeeper Aaron Heap was arguably lucky to remain on the pitch when he appeared to foul Finlay Ness as he bore down on goal after being played in by a defence-splitting pass.

The Tynecastle keeper made an excellent save minutes later as Dalling once again directed a header towards goal from a corner. Heap had to fully stretch himself to palm the effort upwards before gathering it safely.

Banks continued to dominate possession, but were unable to carve out a meaningful chance as Aaron Matheson was efficient in neutralising some promising runs from Banks’ flair player, Lewis Duncan.

On the counter, Ivan Alapiki was the most dangerous player from the Edinburgh side as he looked to run at the Banks defence with intent. Banks resorted to putting several markers on him as he repeatedly surged down the left flank with ease, only to be crowded out as he tried to find a cross.

The towering midfielder gave the Banks defence plenty to worry about as he forced goalkeeper Kyle Leiper to rush off his line to make a clearance.

Alapiki and Kieran Ngwenya were effective in trying to create space for themselves as Tyncastle struggled to grab a foothold in the game against an onslaught spearheaded by the engine-room duo of Duncan and Joseph Wilson from the Aberdonians.

Tynie took the lead completely against the run of play in the 15th minute due to an error by Leiper. The keeper looked to be making a routine clearance, but his long ball found the chest of the onrushing Kameron Jackson, who gratefully tucked his effort away into an empty net.

The goal seemed to rattle Tynecastle’s opponents as they managed to press higher up the pitch. Ross Watson forced a defensive miscue that almost looked to be the catalyst for a second goal before Banks scrambled to clear the danger behind for a corner.

Alapiki continued to look dangerous going forward as the second half came to a close with the Edinburgh side benefiting from a lucky break to be in front at the interval.

Unfortunately for Tynie, the tide turned quickly and massively in the favour of the Aberdonians in the second half.

Tynecastle made a crucial mistake in not putting the ball out of play while Jacques Crane went down with a back injury as Banks continued to play on. Duncan ran deep and out wide, cutting back for substitute, Liam Smith, to thump home in the 48th minute.

Smith put his side in the lead minutes later with another assist from Duncan, this time from a corner, as he managed to poke an effort home in a crowded Tynecastle penalty box.

Tynie were unable to make any mark on the game in the second half as Banks twisted the knife. Dalling made it 3-1 with Smith being the provider this time as he ghosted through the Tynecastle defence and crossed in from the left for him to finish.

Tynecastle’s misery was compounded when Smith got his hat-trick five minutes from time. His effort from 20 yards took an awkward bounce which squirmed underneath Heap, who had to be stretchered off immediately afterwards.