Tynecastle 17s savour Victor Paris Cup triumph

Tynecastle Under-17s
Tynecastle Under-17s
Have your say

Tynecastle 17s won their first silverware of the season as they beat Loanhead MYFC 3-1 at New Dundas Park to lift the Victor Paris Bathrooms Cup.

Both sides contributed to an entertaining cup final at the home of Bonnyrigg Rose, although the Tynecastle side were ultimately the more clinical of the two.

They got off to the best possible start when Liam Thomson’s inviting cross from the left looped over Loanhead goalkeeper Ben Mackenzie, with David Henderson on hand to bundle the ball over the line.

Tynie went on to produce a strong first-half display and they tightened their grip on the game when they doubled their advantage just before the break.

Henderson chased what looked to be a lost cause, tackling a Loanhead defender on the right side of the box before firing in a cross that ricocheted off defender Ross Currie and ended up in the net.

Loanhead came out fighting in the second half and were the better side for most of it.

Ryan Weston sent a close-range header just wide before Jack Fairgrieve eventually pulled one back when he fired home after a free-kick into the box broke kindly for him eight yards out.

Loanhead’s tails were up and they went in search of the equaliser.

Their best chance fell to Jones who dragged his shot across the goalkeeper and narrowly wide of the post, following a through ball that gave him space on the right of the area.

He was made to rue that miss, hower, as Tynie came up with a sucker punch of a third goal with 15 minutes left.

A free-kick was whipped in from the right side, and after goalkeeper Mackenzie failed to gather, the ball broke to Thomson, who clipped home a superb first-time effort via the crossbar.

Merchie lay down Law

Hamish Law’s injury-time winner for North Merchiston 19s set up a Royal Edinburgh Cup final showdown with Musselburgh Windsor 96 as they edged a tight affair against Spartans Reds 3-2.

Joe Turner-Law put North Merchie ahead in 20 minutes as he chased down a bouncing ball to beat a defender and score.

Then five minutes before the break, it was 2-0, when Law volleyed into the bottom right-hand corner following a sweeping move down the left.

Spartans, who had been unfortunate in the first half, swiftly set about hauling themselves back into the game in the second period.

They pulled one back when Peter Wood smashed the ball high into the net after North Merchie failed to deal with a corner from Craig Jenkinson.

And the Reds then drew level when Calvin Muttitt tapped in the rebound after Jenkinson’s free-kick from just outside the box was saved.

North Merchie weren’t to be denied victory, however, and right at the death, Law raced onto a high through ball, outpaced the Reds defence and tucked the ball into the far corner of the net to secure his side a place in the final.

Fernie book final berth

Fernieside will face Currie Star in the under-16 Division 2 League Cup Final after they beat Penicuik Athletic YFC Blues 3-1 in the semi-final

Fernie went ahead after 15 minutes when Brandon Smith headed home from Ryan Forrest’s long throw-in.

Penicuik got themselves back on level terms shortly before half-time.

They broke down the right flank, with the ball being played inside to Joe Viola, who took a few touches and then fired home a left-footed strike which took a slight nick off a defender on its way into the top corner.

Fernieside regained their advantage after 70 minutes, when Smith notched his second header of the afternoon from a cross.

And the home side wrapped up the semi-final in style when Charlie Adam fired a sublime volley over the Penicuik goalkeeper to make it 3-1.