Tynecastle hit six goals to reach summit

Tynecastle Under-19s
Tynecastle Under-19s
Share this article
Have your say

Tynecastle Under-19s moved joint top with Spartans in the East of Scotland Qualifying League after a clinical second-half showing against basement club Heriot Watt, winning 6-2 at Saughton.

The home side lacked a cutting edge in front of goal in the opening period, but there was no question mark over their finishing after the interval as they scored four goals without reply.

Clayton Crowther was inches away from giving Tynie an early lead, after his shot across goal had Watt goalkeeper Jack Robinson beaten, but his strike cannoned off the inside of the post and the stopper was able to gather.

Tynie continued to put pressure on the visitors who were finding it tough to gain any attacking momentum, and they finally broke through on 24 minutes.

Liam Ure was left with a simple tap-in from three yards out after team-mate Crowther had laid the ball on a plate for the striker, with his cross directly into his path.

However, despite having to defend for long spells of the opening half, Watt were soon level on the half hour mark.

Donatom Melchiorre had come close to an equaliser at the back post for Watt, before Harry Warner produced the required finish to beat Tynie keeper Neil Fairnie who had spent much of the half with little to do.

The leveller seemed to give Watt a lift, and just three minutes later they took the lead from the penalty spot. Tynie’s Blair Rutherford took the decision to bring down Alex Scott who was set to strike, and from 12 yards Adam Woolven sent his spot-kick past Fairnie.

Their lead didn’t last long however, as Tynie were level almost immediately. Kern Hutchison didn’t make the best of connections with his shot from inside the box but fortunately for the home side it had enough to trickle past Robinson and into the bottom corner.

Tynie received a dressing down at half-time for their slackness in front of goal and in allowing Watt back into the match. They seemed eager to regain their lead early in the second-half, but didn’t do so until the 70th minute.

The goal had been a long time coming for the hosts and, after Gavin Stevenson was tripped inside the box, Hutchison got his second with a well taken penalty.

Ure then got a second himself when he tapped in a rebound after Robinson had done well to save an initial effort. Watt had done well to hold Tynie for most of the second-half but there was no stopping the home side now, who were well in their stride.

Blake Wales rounded off a great team passing move when he found the net to make it five, before Sean Williamson got the sixth.

The right-back won the ball inside Watt’s half before skipping past two challenges on his way into the area, showing great skill, and he then nutmegged Robinson with his strike six minutes from time.