Tynie take Colin Greenhill Trophy

Tynecastle Under-16s with the Colin Greenhill Cup
Tynecastle Under-16s with the Colin Greenhill Cup
Have your say

Tynecastle 16s are the first winners of the Colin Greenhill Memorial Trophy after a 5-2 triumph over Leith Athletic 97s at Bonnyrigg Rose’s New 
Dundas Park.

Tynecastle went in as hot 
favourites against their lower-league opponents and, having 
won the Scottish Youth 
Challenge Cup final at Airdrie the previous weekend, they appeared menacing from the start.

Ciaran Small put Tynecastle ahead within ten minutes when he converted Greg Kerr’s pass.However, Tynecastle eventually doubled their advantage when Calum Cowan’s run and shot could only be palmed by Leith No.1 Campbell Johnston, and Ryan Currie was on hand to knock in the rebound.

Great build-up play from Small then led the way for Joe Walker to notch Tynecastle’s third when he fired home a loose ball in the Leith penalty area before Paddy Ryan 
reduced the deficit to 3-1.

Before the interval, Tynecastle struck for a fourth time which ended the match as a contest as Cowan’s cross from the left 
deflected off a Leith defender and past the unfortunate 

Tynecastle captain Craig Russell was sent off for a last-man tackle on Murray Dickson early in the second half and Brandon Brammer stepped up to curl the resulting free-kick in at the right-hand post. However, it wasn’t to be the start of any comeback for Athletic as 
Tynecastle wrapped up 
victory with a fifth through 
Kyle Mitchell.

There was a fine turnout to mark the final of the first staging of a competition introduced in memory of the late Colin Greenhill, whose contributions to the Evening News’ Local Heroes section were invaluable.

Gillian Greenhill said the 
final was a fitting tribute to her late husband.

“Colin would have enjoyed it, I certainly did,” she said. “It was a terrific game played in a good spirit.”

Ethan fuels Hutchie 15s

Hutchison VALE 15s continued their superb form with a 6-2 victory over Cavalry Park in the John McConnell Memorial Cup final at New Dundas Park.

Ethan Feachen-Hamilton was in scintillating form, the 
young No.10 producing a magnificent display en route to a hat-trick and another cup 
winners’ medal.

However, it was Cavalry Park, having made an impressive start, who took the lead, when Aiden Holligan’s looping header found the back of the net from Callum Shields’ cross.

Then Feachen-Hamilton made his mark as he rifled the ball into the top left corner of the net just before the interval. Lewis Swaney crossed for Feachen-Hamilton to put Hutchie in front, but they were soon pegged back when Ross Lamb converted his spot-kick after an infringement in the Hutchie penalty box.

Regan Hendry, another 
terrific player within Hutchie’s ranks, made it 3-2 with a 
superb strike before striker Ryan Fox hit their fourth with a well-taken finish.

Feachen-Hamilton then almost burst the net with the shot that earned him his hat-trick and Gabrie Auriemma, a scorer in the previous weekend’s Scottish Cup final, notched the sixth after good build-up play from Arran Singh.

Currie giving it big Licks

Andrew LICKLEY’S superb 
strike from long range was enough to land Currie 
Star their second trophy of 
the season after a battling 
performance against Dalkeith CYP at Saughton Enclosure.

The hard-fought 1-0 victory means the Currie boys have now added the Charles Porter League Cup to their collection after winning the Tom Welsh Cup at the same 
venue back in March. That evening two months ago produced a ten goal thriller with North 
Merchiston that needed 
extra-time to find a winner.

However, in stark contrast, Lickley’s 20-yard effort midway through the first half was all that was needed this time round to secure victory in what was a thoroughly entertaining encounter.

Dalkeith were a very attack-
minded outfit who were 
perhaps unlucky not to 
score for all the effort they 

However, it was Currie who were celebrating come referee George Mathieson’s full-time whistle.