Uphall Station win the Victory Cup

Uphall Station were brought back level by Edinburgh United Alba after being 2-0 ahead
Uphall Station were brought back level by Edinburgh United Alba after being 2-0 ahead
Have your say

Uphall Station lifted the Victory Cup with a 6-5 win on penalties against Edinburgh United Alba after the game finished 2-2 in normal time at Saughton Enclosure.

In what was a highly-entertaining game from start to finish, Station held their nerve in the shoot-out after Alba came from 2-0 down to take the game to extra time.

Alba dealt with the occasion best to create the better of the chances in the early stages. Seven minutes in John Kerr’s corner from the right picked out the head of Michael Brown but five yards out his effort was directed over the top.

Uphall began to settle and create chances of their own and they were adamant they should have been awarded a penalty when Bamba Jobrteh was hauled down in the area. But the referee told the No.7 to get up. Alba quickly turned defence into attack and looked to get into Station’s box soon after. Alieu Faye knocked the ball down to Joe Boyle and he skipped past one challenge before sending a shot just wide of Jason Thornton’s goal.

Just as it looked as though the half was going to end goalless, the boys in black rallied and took the lead with minutes to go. Captain Alan Scott latched onto a pass in the area before turning and drilling the ball past Gary Dalgleish in the Alba goal.

The second half began just as fast-paced. Harry Sinclair almost provided the key to unlocking the Alba defence when his long throw into the area found the head of Hassan Nyang but his effort flew narrowly over Dalgleish’s crossbar.

Alba looked fired up and they thought they’d found a way back into the game when Faye headed into the back of the net from Michael Lynch’s cross. The linesman was quick to chalk it off however, citing Piesy Khosrowpour’s interference with play as the reason behind the decision.

Station looked relieved. Building on the decision they doubled their lead minutes later. After Dalgleish just about managed to keep out Craig Morris’s flick in the box, the West Lothian side had the ball in the net. Scott sent another smart finish into the far corner after cutting in from the right to make it 2-0.

Morris then could have made it even better for Uphall when he glanced a header at 
goal, only to be denied by the crossbar.

Alba were on the ropes but from nowhere they managed to find a route back into the final.

Khosrowpour received a pass just inside the box and the striker spun to lash in, giving his side hope.

Minutes later the forward then had a fantastic chance to make it 2-2 when Alba were awarded a penalty. Station goalie Thornton pulled off a great save however as he dived to his right to leave the scores unchanged.

Having missed the chance to pull level, it seemed like Alba were down and out but again they pulled a goal back just as it seemed their opponents were going to see the final out. Danny Smith latched onto a loose aerial ball before chesting and volleying in from the edge of the area.

With neither team able to find a winner in extra time penalties were required and it was Uphall who held their nerve to win the shoot-out as Robert Swan sent Dalgleish the wrong way to seal their cup final destiny.

Edinburgh United Alba: Barry Salvona, Bradley Raynham, Alieu Faye, Danny Smith, Gary Dalgleish, Joe Boyle, John Kerr, Kevin Kesson, Lewis Mitchell, Lez Hallett, Mark Law, Mark McEwan, Michael Brown, Michael Lynch, Piesy Khosrowpour, Sam Campbell.

Uphall Station: Robert Swan, Kieran Melville, Jason Thornton, Bamba Jobrteh, Conner McQuade, Alister Marshall, Harry Sinclair, Steven Fleming, Paul Strathie, Hassan Nyang, Alex Miller, Owen Reid, Alan Scott, Stuart Coll, Craig Morris, Liam Kennedy.